Attic GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is there any requirement for GFCI protrection of receptacles located in an unfinished attic space? It seems that a few years ago I got called on by an inspector, simply changed it to get the final while he was there and didn't question it. Can't seem to find it in the code now where it's a requirement. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not required but I do know of a local inspector who insists that it's somewhere in the NEC. The CMP does not think that it's necessary.

2-99 Log #2410 NEC-P02 Final Action: Reject
(210.8(A)(6))
Substantiation: In unfinished attics that contain an appliance, such as an a/c
unit, that requires service, the service technician will need to run an extension
cord from the flloor that allows access to the attic and through the access panel
which is in violation of 408.8(3).
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The submitter has not substantiated the requirement to add
GFCI to receptacles in attics. The panel notes that 210.63 would require a
receptacle to be installed within 25 feet and on the same level.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Could there possibly have been a need for a GFCI receptacle for service personnel? Maybe there was HVAC equipment in the attic or something. It would be easy enough for the inspector to tell you a plug needs to be a GFCI, not necessarily mean "because it's an attic," and not specifically say why.

If he just pointed and said, "That needs to be GFCI," maybe you misinterpreted what he was saying.

stickboy1375

Could there possibly have been a need for a GFCI receptacle for service personnel? Maybe there was HVAC equipment in the attic or something. It would be easy enough for the inspector to tell you a plug needs to be a GFCI, not necessarily mean "because it's an attic," and not specifically say why.

If he just pointed and said, "That needs to be GFCI," maybe you misinterpreted what he was saying.

The OP clearly stated, "receptacle located in the attic" and I'm still wondering why anyone would suggest it should be GFCI protected?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The OP clearly stated, "receptacle located in the attic" and I'm still wondering why anyone would suggest it should be GFCI protected?

OP said receptacles when asking the question. But when applying it to his own situation he said, "changed it" instead of "changed them." Therefore he demonstrated disconnect between his understanding of the code and the actual situation he is citing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All I read was attic, and GFI required...

The way that I read it too. Simple fact it that it's not required. The aforementioned inspector thinks that since you might work in a hot attic and be wet from sweat during the summer and that a GFCI receptacle will add a margin of safety. Although his theory might be correct the NEC disagrees that it's required.

Status
Not open for further replies.