Meter Question....can you figure it out??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

I have an Amprobe AM-16A meter.

It is 600v, CAT. 3

I have had this meter for a LONG time.I have never changed the batteries on it due to the auto off feature.

Today I was testing a guardlight (70w HPS) for power. I had the HO turn the switch on inside and then I covered the photocell with my hand until it came on. After that, I removed the lamp and tested the lampholder with the meter. When I placed the leads into the lampholder, it didnt show my voltage as I was expecting, it made a noise ( a low ziiiiizzzz) and then lit up all of the graphics that could be lit up. I had all 8's and everything at the top of the display window was on. I turned it off and then on again several times, but nothing.
I then came home and removed the batteries, put in fresh ones; cleaned the unit and put it all back together. Now when I turn it on, it doesnt do the inital "beep" telling me its on and the display is very weak looking. You have to tilt it to see anything.
This is very odd because if it is the batteries, then why doesnt replacing them work?
This meter has been an AWESOME meter and I got almost emotional when it cratered on me.
Has anyone had or know a solution to a problem like this?

Thanks, S723

nakulak

I have read that starting pulses for HPS can be as high as 3kv, and can therefore damage meters; however, I can't verify that (maybe someone else can).

sparky723

So if I understand correctly, I checked the voltage at the exact time it was pulsing to start?

Wild. I wish I had remembered the pulsing....Oh well, guess i can get that fieldpiece meter, now.;)

Anybody have one those meters??

hurk27

keep going. Im learning. Thank You.

Did you check the fuse? there are two fuses, a 10 amp for current measurement, and a 2 amp fast blow to protect for over voltage, hopefully it blew. follow the same procedure for changing the battery, then lift the circuit board from the top case and turn it over to revel the fuses. see if the 2 amp is open.

What gets me is Amp-Probe site says this meter has a 3kv range but in the manual it says to not use it over 600 volts or does the manual show a 3kv range, don't they know there own meters :roll:

hurk27

The 3KV sound like a maximum transient voltage rating.

Hurk, do you require any sleep ?

only when me haves more jobs, but not been great looking at the first part of this week, one small service call for a bad exit light:roll: few bids out though, maybe one big one for winter, but phones not ringing of the hook if ya know what I mean.:cool:

sparky723

Thanks Hurk and others....

To prevent from over voltaging, what would have been the proper procedure to take with my meter to test this fixture?

I never mentioned in my op that the fisxture is at least 15 years old.

Split Bolt

The best test would be to try a new lamp. If that doesn't work, get a new ballast kit. (actually, if this is a Harry Homeowner type HPS fixture, the replacement ballast would cost 3X as much as new fixture...complete with lamp!) I have never been tempted to take a reading at the socket of any HID fixture. (Luckily!) If you have to pay $$$ just for a pulse-rated replacement socket, it's gotta be bad! I hope you find a blown fuse!

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Did you check the fuse? there are two fuses, a 10 amp for current measurement, and a 2 amp fast blow to protect for over voltage, hopefully it blew. follow the same procedure for changing the battery, then lift the circuit board from the top case and turn it over to revel the fuses. see if the 2 amp is open.

What gets me is Amp-Probe site says this meter has a 3kv range but in the manual it says to not use it over 600 volts or does the manual show a 3kv range, don't they know there own meters :roll:

That's due to the CAT rating.

hurk27

opened unit and there are NO fuses in the meter.

See image below from the PDF of the instruction book for that meter:

attachment.php

follow the instructions.

sparky723

Hurk,

There was no no image with the battery and fuse instructions.

I took some pictures of the opened meter, but if I put the pics on my pc, I dont know how to put them on here. Anyhow, when I turned the circuit board over, there were no fuses. An image or schematic would be great.

Also, Ill check the contacts on the battery. Although I dont think it is thst due to the fact that it ziiiiizzzzzed out on me when I test the HID lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.