Conduit for balcony floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxstevens

I am putting in a couple of light circuits at a church building. While I am there, they ask me if I would move some audio/video cabling which will require about ten feet of conduit. It would have to go in the floor of the balcony and it is cantilevered (2X10 joists). Because the A/V cable ends are factory made & I don't want to cut them, so I need to put a fairly good size conduit in. Where can I find the allowable size to notch the floor for the conduit without hurting the structure? Also, do you know of any problems using PVC for the A/V? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Have you ever seen the plumber cut the entire plate out? You can cut the plate and install rigid metal braces to hold them together but quite frankly I am not sure you need to on the bottom plate. I have cut holes for 2" PVC in a 2x4 wall and never had a problem.

shockin

Don't have an answer for you, but the OP appears to be asking about a joist.

I believe that Dennis's comment is in regards to a top and bottom plate of a wall. BIG differance.

satcom

I am putting in a couple of light circuits at a church building. While I am there, they ask me if I would move some audio/video cabling which will require about ten feet of conduit. It would have to go in the floor of the balcony and it is cantilevered (2X10 joists). Because the A/V cable ends are factory made & I don't want to cut them, so I need to put a fairly good size conduit in. Where can I find the allowable size to notch the floor for the conduit without hurting the structure? Also, do you know of any problems using PVC for the A/V? Thanks.

A church balcony will have live loading, and I would not make any changes in the structure without an engineer approval, PVC in a place of assembly? I don't think so.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A church balcony will have live loading, and I would not make any changes in the structure without an engineer approval, PVC in a place of assembly? I don't think so.

Why does it even need to be in conduit at all? If it is underneath it is not going to be damaged.

I agree that cutting into a structure like that requires some expertise into just what can be done.

wxstevens

I don't see why PVC would be a problem if it's being used for audio equipment, am I wrong?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.