granite backsplash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always seems like when I go install GFCI rect or decora style rect/switches in a granite backsplash (also tile backsplashes), the granite is cut too close and getting the cover plate screws in is a fight. I always silently curse the countertop guys and just do what I have to do to get my job done.

In the past, I've used my hammer drill/bit to make a little indent for the screw. I've also used a glass cutting bit at times. I'm always stresseed that I'll crack the backsplash. Any tricks/ tools/ suggestions???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We just cut the screws like Bob said but I'm not sure what the the granite is cut too close has to do with the plate screws on Decora devices?

iwire

Staff member
Decora plate screws are about 1/4 inch long (with the head) to begin with.

I know that, I have been working with them about 30 years at this point.:grin:

I still cut them shorter, if they hit hit the wall behind the yoke they are too long.

Besides, that part of the yoke is supposed to be up against the wall, not removed.

GUNNING

Float the receptacle and let the plate hold it flush then the screws will fit.

Or pit the granite with a screw driver.

Proper use of force. If it breaks then it wasn't proper.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it is their problem to leave room for my screws. They don't need to cut the hole bigger but they need to leave room for my plate screws with a notch or whatever it takes. Not my job to cut granite -- it is their job, IMO

iwire

Staff member
I think it is their problem to leave room for my screws. They don't need to cut the hole bigger but they need to leave room for my plate screws with a notch or whatever it takes. Not my job to cut granite -- it is their job, IMO

Not my job to cut granite either and I would not try, but I would take 30 seconds to cut the screws and move on.

As I said above, to each their own. :grin:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Float the receptacle and let the plate hold it flush then the screws will fit.

Or pit the granite with a screw driver.

Proper use of force. If it breaks then it wasn't proper.

Iwire, you spanked the wrong person, look above.:grin:

Dennis, IMO the yoke of the receptacle is supposed to sit against the back splash, not just float.

Dennis, you're a good guy, took a bullet for a quote that wasn't yours!:grin:

Strife

If you're talking about the tile/granite people not cutting enough around the mudring I agree.
If you're talking about the decora plate screws... Some plates come with very, very short screws (4-5 threads, didn't bother to measure them), but some come with longer ones. I just cut them with a plier for the latter. 6/32 is small enough where it won't mess your thread.

Always seems like when I go install GFCI rect or decora style rect/switches in a granite backsplash (also tile backsplashes), the granite is cut too close and getting the cover plate screws in is a fight. I always silently curse the countertop guys and just do what I have to do to get my job done.

In the past, I've used my hammer drill/bit to make a little indent for the screw. I've also used a glass cutting bit at times. I'm always stresseed that I'll crack the backsplash. Any tricks/ tools/ suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.