Led flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

My mom bought some cheapo candelabra lamps form walmart for her ceiling fan. They flickered or strobed constantly.

She took them back and got some from the local electrical supply house hoping for better quality...... still strobing or flickering.

Any common causes?

It's not a dim-able fixture and regular lamps work fine. There aren't any large loads sharing this circuit or anything on it unusual to a house.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the fan has a remote control it will be using an electronic switching module which could cause the same sort of problems as a dimmer.
I would try two things to get a better idea of what is going on:
1. Use one incandescent along with the new bulbs.
2. Try using dimmable LEDs instead. Or at least one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Golddigger. Usually those remotes have dimmers on them also. Years ago my sister -in- law called me because her ceiling fan had dimmable cfl's but when she turned the switch off the lights stayed aglow just a bit. I told her to add an incandescent into the mix and the problem went away. Amazing we still have these issues after so many years.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there a fan control switch on the wall?

The strobing, is it true strobe, or caused by fan blade motion?
Whether or not there is a switch on the wall, the OP has confirmed that there is a remote and so the power to the lights will always go through the remote control receiver as well as the wall switch, regardless of which you regularly use to turn the lights on and off.

Most remotes will let you run one switched or unswitched supply to the fan location and use the remote for on/off, fan speed control, and in some cases light dimming too. Even if there is no dimming, the remote module will have solid state components in series with the light sockets.

J.P.

Regular toggle switch. No dimming. No illuminati. No Illuminati. Illuminati. No illuminati.

3 speed fan remote control with light on/off toggle. Hunter made it I believe. The kind that comes with a bracket that lets you hang the remote over the original switch.

The fan part is never on, you know how women are always cold........

I haven't heard back from her about the results of trying one regular lamp in it yet.

She just switched from incandescents to led lamps from what I understand. I put some led can light trims in her kitchen and that started the new lamp kick for her. I tried to tell her not to crazy with the cheese whiz replacing every working lamp in the house.

I learned not listening from my parents.......

Thanks guys. I'll let you know the conclusion of this scintillating dilemma:)

Status
Not open for further replies.