220 volt car lift motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyh

I have a 220 volt car lift motor-single phase. It comes with a black, white and green grounding screw.

Question: I hook one hot wire to the black and the other to the white wire? Which I asume is not a neutral? And green to screw. Is that correct?

ceb58

I have a 220 volt car lift motor-single phase. It comes with a black, white and green grounding screw.

Question: I hook one hot wire to the black and the other to the white wire? Which I asume is not a neutral? And green to screw. Is that correct?

As long as you are SURE it is 220v. There is a lot of 220v equipment that come with one leg white:confused:. Some are dual voltage 120/240 that require moving a selector switch for which ever voltage you are using. Reidentify the white and away you go.

e57

Since when do they let Diyers post on here?
Which one?

Anyway - I haven't done one of these in years... And they were all made by Ze Germans.... So when in doubt check the motors, schematics, control diagrams - instructions even and then call the manufacturer if all fails... Let them decide - not you.

Article 90.1

Don't forget to break one of the legs (if 220) or the hot leg (if 120) with the high limit bar at the top of the lift.

What is the lift model, Challenger, Rotary, other?

ceb58

NEC does not apply to what motor manufacturer uses for their leads.

There are many 4,9,12, or more lead motors out there with all leads white and we do not re-identify these.

This is true but it's more of a cya for the next person who may work on it.

kwired

Electron manager
This is true but it's more of a cya for the next person who may work on it.

From his ignorance only.

Who cares if white wire is grounded or ungrounded in this case. If 120 volt and not marked and is disconnected while energized it can still nail him and he will think it neutral and why did it do that?

My thoughts on marking a white wire where it is allowed to be used as a non grounded conductor has always been that you are only protecting those who do not know any better and even then they still don't have a clue of what is up.

If I see a white wire landed on a fuse or circuit breaker it does not even cross my mind that this could possibly be a neutral.

If in a lighting outlet box I see a white wire connected to one or more black wires I don't give it a second guess that this is not a neutral same at the other end where the switch is.

If I see a white wire connected in a piece of equipment that is typically 240 volt equipment I may check voltage if there is any doubt but otherwise assume and treat it as if not a neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.