Might be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Get to know the code definition first and the rest will make sense. This is what the NEC says:

344.2 Definition.
Rigid Metal Conduit (RMC). A threadable raceway of circular cross section designed for the physical protection and routing of conductors and cables and for use as an equipment grounding conductor when installed with its integral or associated coupling and appropriate fittings. RMC is generally made of steel (ferrous) with protective coatings or aluminum (nonferrous). Special use types are red brass and stainless steel.

hurk27

I am surprised you have a job as an electrical estimator by some of the questions you ask here.
It is obvious that you don't have any construction experience.

RGS, GRC, RMC all the same. Rigid Steel Galvanized Conduit.

Really, if I get specs that say "RMC" or just "RIGID CONDUIT" I would RFI too, there is nothing like having to rip out a conduit run just because you didn't take the time to ask, and I been estimating jobs for over 20 years.

Remember we all got to start somewhere.:cool:

Designer69

Okay, can RMC be aluminum? If so that is not galvanized, correct?

correct, aluminum cannot be galvanized.

Aluminum conduitAluminum conduit, similar to galvanized steel conduit, is a rigid conduit, generally used in commercial and industrial applications, where a higher resistance to corrosion is needed. Such locations would include food processing plants, where large amounts of water and cleaning chemicals would make galvanized conduit unsuitable. Aluminum cannot be directly embedded in concrete, since the metal reacts with the alkalis in cement. The conduit may be coated to prevent corrosion by incidental contact with concrete. The extra cost of aluminum is somewhat offset by the lower labor cost to install, since a length of aluminum conduit will have about one-third the weight of an equally-sized rigid steel conduit.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
All rigid galvanized steel conduit is rigid metal conduit.
Not all rigid metal conduit is rigid galvanized conduit.

skeshesh

A case of questionable specs which happens all the time. I try to go through our specs carefully and have a senior engineer take a look if I have any doubts. In any case, I think it's fair to say that simply stating "rigid conduit" in the spec would allow for interpreting it as either RMC or RNC. On one hand, if I were working for a contractor I would immediately clarify, unless I was hunting for COs and trouble in which case I might install the cheapest material and try to get a change order. On the other hand if I were the person writing the spec I would certainly make sure to call out RMC if that was intended; I mean come on writing "rigid conduit" is practically asking for RFIs and COs down the road. Let us know how it turns out...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A case of questionable specs which happens all the time. I try to go through our specs carefully and have a senior engineer take a look if I have any doubts. In any case, I think it's fair to say that simply stating "rigid conduit" in the spec would allow for interpreting it as either RMC or RNC. On one hand, if I were working for a contractor I would immediately clarify, unless I was hunting for COs and trouble in which case I might install the cheapest material and try to get a change order. On the other hand if I were the person writing the spec I would certainly make sure to call out RMC if that was intended; I mean come on writing "rigid conduit" is practically asking for RFIs and COs down the road. Let us know how it turns out...

I agree with you but did note in post #8 horsegoer did state:
"Exactly the case. It specified RGC and then RMC for other items. ", so RNC would not be accpetable in his particular situation

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I agree with you but did note in post #8 horsegoer did state:
"Exactly the case. It specified RGC and then RMC for other items. ", so RNC would not be accpetable in his particular situation

Your correct but that was my mistake. It said RGS and " rigid conduit" somewhere else.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am surprised you have a job as an electrical estimator by some of the questions you ask here.
It is obvious that you don't have any construction experience.

RGS, GRC, RMC all the same. Rigid Steel Galvanized Conduit.
No they don't all mean the same thing.

4 Pages of Thread and No Mention of IRC?

4 Pages of Thread and No Mention of IRC?

Intermediate Rigid Conduit is in the code too, and it's rigid, it's metallic, it's conduit. Only available up to 4", considerably lighter than GRC, so less labor.

Some pretty harsh critics in here for a reasonable question. Also--the time spent on an RFI is always cheaper than rework.

Status
Not open for further replies.