CA contractor lic LAW exam prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I am going to reinstate my CA C10 lic and I will have to retake the exam, it's been 14 yrs since I passed it.
I see Mike Holt has some good study materials for the trade part, but I don't see any current offering on the Law part of the exam.
Is there a link or reference someone knows of?
Google search turned up many options :/

thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I am going to reinstate my CA C10 lic and I will have to retake the exam, it's been 14 yrs since I passed it.
I see Mike Holt has some good study materials for the trade part, but I don't see any current offering on the Law part of the exam.
Is there a link or reference someone knows of?
Google search turned up many options :/

thanks

When I took my test (22 years ago) you could find some classes that you took the weekend before the test and they would give you some good info and it would still be fairly fresh in you mind. Don't know if they still offer them or not.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I bought that book... YAK:happyno:
It is dry reading!
I need exam prep, a summary of the interesting bits that may be on a test.
Thanks tho!
=)

I don't know where you are located but these guys offer a weekend crash course for the law and the trade.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't know where you are located but these guys offer a weekend crash course for the law and the trade.

I'm not sure who I used, but it was one of these guys. You could go in and study anything you wanted. I figured that if I didn't know the trade portion then I shouldn't be taking the test, so I took one practice trade portion and got a +90% (some electronics questions, which I don't know) and then spent the rest of the weekend studying the law portion.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I'm not sure who I used, but it was one of these guys. You could go in and study anything you wanted. I figured that if I didn't know the trade portion then I shouldn't be taking the test, so I took one practice trade portion and got a +90% (some electronics questions, which I don't know) and then spent the rest of the weekend studying the law portion.

My opinion is they need to make the trade portion hard and the law portion easy. Because once a person gets into law trouble the first thing they do is see an attorney, besides we don't work with the law anyway so what ever we learn in schools goes out the window the next day.

If the trade portion is hard then not any person can take the test and pass it. One of friends took the test 5 times, finally passed it and calls him self a master electrician. :( But doesn't know how to troubleshoot a 3w, 4w switch wiring. :happysad::rant:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I bought that book... YAK:happyno: I need exam prep, a summary of the interesting bits that may be on a test.

When convicted contractors don't prevail in court, or appear for sentencing, remedial training in contractor license law is often ordered, in addition to punitive fines.

Most city colleges exploit this traffic by keeping a "License law" course in their catalog, without prerequisites, satisfying State requirements with proprietary training materials, usually published within the last 5-years, but more costly than State sources made available thru public policy.

Buying books, class tuition, parking, & other public-college fees are less risky than private contractor-school scams, infamous for recruiting hundreds before tuition disappears with bankruptcy, but the school of hard knocks could be better preparation for real-life field experience.

If there are no published products that maintain State-contracting laws in exam-prep form, they were probably outclassed by more lucrative marketing exploits. When you play in an amusement park, you can't blame all the jokers & clowns that see you coming, or the wild rides & cotton candy that make you sick.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I bought that book... YAK:happyno:
It is dry reading!
I need exam prep, a summary of the interesting bits that may be on a test.
Thanks tho!
=)

well, there are license mills that you log onto and keep taking the test over and over until
you get your score up high enough that you'll make it thru with a passing score.

when i did it 6 years ago, they were $700 to $1,200, if memory serves.

the one i went to was a mile from my house... but they went out of biz in 2009.
it wasn't a good year for construction, to say the least, at least in calif.

"The California License Board does not publish the passing score. According
to the Blueprint for Becoming a California Licensed Contractor, "You will be
informed at the test site about the percentage of correct answers needed
to pass each examination.""

i looked at the books, and went "GAK", and logged onto the test, and the first
one i did was 73%... i just kept doing them, over and over, till i hit mid 90%,
then went in and took the test.....

never did open the book again.....

it worked.... hurry up and renew that license.... there's tons of work here,
we can't hardly keep up with it all.....

;-p

dmagyar

C-10 license, study at home

C-10 license, study at home

When I was planning on taking the C-10 license test I found C.L.O.C.

http://www.cloc.com/

They have a pretty good home study course, but I've forgotten what it cost , it comes with a bunch of tapes which you can listen to again & again as necessary. Together with the tapes I found the typical test questions were very helpful. Good luck :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.