GOAB switch upstream of Service Disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flapjack

Occupation
EE
This is in the design phase. I have 20.8 kV coming from the utility. The utility says the service point is on the load side of the metering CTs mounted on the utility pole. The utility is requiring the client to have their own dead-end drop pole. The load side of the CTs are connected to overhead conductors going to the dead-end drop pole. From there service conductors are routed underground to feed fused disconnects in switchgear.

Is it code compliant to mount a gang-operated air break switch on the dead-end drop pole, or does 230.82 make a GOAB switch a violation?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion the pole mounted switch becomes the service disconnect so there would be no violation of the section you cited. You also need to take a look at the rules in Part VIII of Article 230 for this installation as the service is rated over 1,000 volts.

Flapjack

Occupation
EE
In my opinion the pole mounted switch becomes the service disconnect so there would be no violation of the section you cited. You also need to take a look at the rules in Part VIII of Article 230 for this installation as the service is rated over 1,000 volts.

Yes, I am just referring to 230.82 since 230.200 states compliance with preceding sections. I believe I would have call for fuses on the pole for the GOAB switch to be a service disconnect per 230.91, even though 230.208 doesn't say "immediately adjacent thereto" like 230.91.

230.204 and 230.205 address this type of installation.

In regards to 230.204, an isolation switch is not required in my case as I am not calling out for a circuit breaker or oil switch. Even if it is not required, can I use one anyway and it trumps 230.82?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...I believe I would have call for fuses on the pole for the GOAB switch to be a service disconnect per 230.91, even though 230.208 doesn't say "immediately adjacent thereto" like 230.91. ....
I see that as a modification to the preceding rules and don't see a requirement for the OCPD to be next to or a part of the service disconnect for this application.

I see the fact that 230.208 just says the OCPD has to be on the load side of the service disconnect as a modification of the rule in 230.91.

230.200 clearly permits the rules in Part VIII to modify the preceding sections of the Article.

Flapjack

Occupation
EE
I see that as a modification to the preceding rules and don't see a requirement for the OCPD to be next to or a part of the service disconnect for this application.

I see the fact that 230.208 just says the OCPD has to be on the load side of the service disconnect as a modification of the rule in 230.91.

230.200 clearly permits the rules in Part VIII to modify the preceding sections of the Article.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.