Neutrals on ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
As GD mentioned most times it is on the line side of the service disconnect and it is the only way to bond the meter enclosure. However the NEC allows it on the load side as well as long as it is adjacent to the service disconnect.

But in theory a meter main panel combo would be after the disconnect?

iwire

Staff member
In most applications it is meter first.

In my area it is rare to see a meter main combo. Usually just a meter socket.

A typical overhead service with metal conduit will have the conduit between the outdoor meter socket and the indoor service panel in parallel with the neutral conductor due to the neutral bond at both the meter socket and service panel. This is allowed and very very common.

No trail of death in its wake. :cool:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

A typical overhead service with metal conduit will have the conduit between the outdoor meter socket and the indoor service panel in parallel with the neutral conductor due to the neutral bond at both the meter socket and service panel. This is allowed and very very common.

Tough winters make for hardy population. A few stray electrons can't be anything more than a tiny nussance.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

That's true, however, if this is allowed in a meter main combo, why doesn't code allow me to put neutrals on a none floating bar in the main service panel?

My take is if code allows this it should allow the latter.

iwire

Staff member

Well its not all about your take. :D

I suspect it is just a case of how things evolved.

The meter socket must be grounded for safety and no EGC exists ahead of the service disconnect to do so.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
That's true, however, if this is allowed in a meter main combo, why doesn't code allow me to put neutrals on a none floating bar in the main service panel?

Seems like nobody wants to admit the incongruity of it all. If freaks people out to much and knowing the neutrals are landed on a buss with a big white wire on it eases their minds.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Seems like nobody wants to admit the incongruity of it all. If freaks people out to much and knowing the neutrals are landed on a buss with a big white wire on it eases their minds.

But, if there is a large jumper from the ground to the neutral buss in the service, we are no longer relying on the enclosure (current will still pass but the jumper will take over if it didn't)

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

True dat...

Most of us would subscribe to 'neutral' and 'ground' as mutually exclusive , where the fact is our entire poco and 'earthing system is often dual usage.

Electrons simply appear unwilling to engage in semantical debates......:)

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.