Must comply Multiwire BC Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how other areas handle this. I told a guy that since he added another 4 receptacles to an existing circuit (basically altering it) that he had to comply with 2008 NEC 210.4(B). Basically 3 circuits sharing a neutral, but in the panel they do not presently have a common disconnect (3 pole breaker or 3 single pole with handle tie). Even though I do not agree with this 2008 NEC code change on this, I still comply with it.

He claims it is an existing circuit and that he did not install a new circuit and that just adding a 2 duplexes to it is not enough to cause a compliance with the NEC 2008.

Basically his resistance is mainly because they do not make 3 pole handle ties for these 3 single pole breakers because they are so old. The reason he didn't want to do a breaker swap out is because of all the stuff he has to go through to get a panel shutdown to do this. This job is in a hospital.

What is your opinion and how does your Inspectors enforce it??

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't see that adding or replacing a outlet cause an uograde to the breakers or panel configuration.

I can't see that adding or replacing a outlet cause an uograde to the breakers or panel configuration.

In our area if you are 'replacing like kind for like kind' then you are fine. But if you are 'adding' or relocating anything to the circuit (basically increasing the load etc..) then you do have to make that branch circuit comply unless you get special permission from the AHJ.

hurk27

This is a question that will result in many different answers across the country.

But here in Indiana we have a code that pretty much conforms to the old article 80.9(C):

(C) Additions, Alterations, or Repairs. Additions, alterations, or repairs to any building, structure, or premises shall conform to that required of a new building without requiring the existing building to comply with all the requirements of this Code. Additions, alterations, installations, or repairs shall not cause an existing building to become unsafe or to adversely affect the performance of the building as determined by the authority having jurisdiction. Electrical wiring added to an existing service, feeder, or branch circuit shall not result in an installation that violates the provisions of the Code in force at the time the additions are made.

this addition would seem to not be compliant to the above in red.

Fishspark

Occupation
Electrician
Let it go..

Let it go..

Sounds like someone made a reasonable attempt to comply with a concern.. no 3 pole ty's?.. And it seems reasonable that a Hospital panel shut down is not an option."right now". Is it suggesting that since a couple of Duplex -s were added - 210.4 b kicks in? - what if 2 receptacles were removed. The knee bone is connected to the hip bone.. dont cut the toes off. Make the call and let it go.
Cordially;

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is your opinion and how does your Inspectors enforce it??

IMO the branch circuits are existing and adding a few receptacles should not require the changing circuit breakers. Around here the rehab code would not require an upgrade of the existing circuits.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the requirement to use 2-pole breakers for MWBC's came into existence in either the 2005 or the 2008 NEC. So, unless you're wiring a new house or an addition I don't believe you're required to use them.

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.