Burn't GFCI recpt fix proper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

OK... took it apart ... I don't see it. Vaporized?

Now that I have all this carbon on my hands. Good thing I don't smoke anymore or I might be doing my best Richard Pryor imitation. :D

gar

Occupation
EE
141113-1413 EST

If I understand your photograph the thing pointed to by the ? mark is the spring lever arm for the hot side relay contact.

The area that is severely burned is generally where the hot and neutral conductors pass thru the center of the current transformer. These are very closely spaced here with molded insulation between them. If something caused a spark between the conductors, then an arc could have been initiated. Relatively short over the surface path length.

Was there a time when the circuit breaker for this circuit was tripped. If so. then that might have been the time of the initial arc.

I think it is quite certain that arcing occurred between hot and neutral. You can make a better determination with the object directly in hand. Did it occur in the current transformer area or closer to the input terminals?

ritelec

Looks like closer to the input area.. line in to be more melted.

Not that it is, but center thing has disc shape and leads like a capacitor

Any tripped breakers in the past, I wouldn't know?

Thanks gar..

kwired

Electron manager
Looks like closer to the input area.. line in to be more melted.

Not that it is, but center thing has disc shape and leads like a capacitor

Any tripped breakers in the past, I wouldn't know?

Thanks gar..
I see what you are describing in bold above - very likely is a MOV.

Add: why isn't it there in the first photo you submitted?

ritelec

It was connected and laying down more against that coil (guessing a ct) As I scrapped and cleaned it up a bit I saw it, it was buried so I bent it up so it could be seen.

That center area originally from why I could tell had the buttons and spring. How it went together I know not. It all fell apart and the spring went flying as I had to pry to get it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.