Extension rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I work for a hack and he has made me do something stupid like that. He also had me run two recepatacles on a roof the other day. I asked him about strapping ( rubber roof with rocks) and he said just lay it on the roof. Also no expansion couplings and I'm pretty sure they were needed.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Stuff like that is why I'm going out on my own before to long. Being made to do stuff the wrong way drives me nuts.

mdshunk

I think that is a legal use of extension rings, as long as you have at least 6" beyond the face of the last ring to work with.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
mdshunk said:
I think that is a legal use of extension rings, as long as you have at least 6" beyond the face of the last ring to work with.
Marc, no shot at you here as this has come up a few times lately, but for a 1900 box it would be 3 inches.

300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points.
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.
Exception: Conductors that are not spliced or terminated at the outlet, junction, or switch point shall not be required to comply with 300.14.

Edit: Here it is stick.

chris kennedy

Occupation
donselectric said:
looks like the pvc conn is cut in half...are there any locknuts?
I don't see a ground screw either. I love it when boxes are poured in concrete without a GND screw installed.

iwire

Staff member
chris kennedy said:
I don't see a ground screw either. I love it when boxes are poured in concrete without a GND screw installed.

index.php

chris kennedy

Occupation
walkerj said:
I have never seen those. Do you have a pic of one installed?
I bet he does. Ask him for a picture of the two on the floor that were his initial attempts at an install.:roll:

iwire

Staff member
chris kennedy said:
You like those Bob?

Not really but they are a legal solution to grounding a box you can not get a 10/32 into.

For what its worth the clips are UL listed for grounding, green 'grounding screws' are not UL listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.