Generator backup bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

I have a customer/ Urgent care clinc that would like me to bid on installing a back up generator. the building is 10 years old. and the clinc is already up and running for 10 years. The clinic is not required to have a back up nor any crtical care circuits.
the reason for the generator is due to the local utily Excel Energy not keeping up on there equipment and every once in a while will drop a phase or 2 and the clinic loses lights and computers.
I have never bid on a generator so my question is would I need a Engineer to draw up the plans or would the generator supplier draw up plans.
which generator manufactours would you recomend. the building power is 480V 3 phase. lighting is 277V.

mdshunk

What size are you likely to need, in kva? In my mind, the size often make the choice of what manufacturer I'm likely to pick.

tyha

I agree with mark on choosing the type and we have installed many gen-sets at existing businesses and we have never got an engineer to draw up plans.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Riograndeelectric said:
the building power is 480V 3 phase. lighting is 277V.

Is this in a strip mall? These facilities tend to be small with low loads. 480V service seems odd.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rio, you also have to determine whether they want the entire service to be genny-supplied, or only certain loads.

Riograndeelectric

this is a free standing . stand alone building. the building has 1 urgent care ,1 family practice and 1 pedeatric clinc all in the same building.
I am gusess the sq foot at around 30,00 sq foot building was formally a Builder square and remodeld in 1997 for the clincs and sub dived. other half of building is empty.
not of what size generator . I am thinking around a 100KVA generator

cadpoint

Genrac makes a real nice sliding calculator that might be at your supply house counter, or available from their local repr. :smile:

mdshunk

Riograndeelectric said:
I am thinking around a 100KVA generator
wow. In that size, I like CAT. A genset that big is also going to have a pretty long lead time. They're not normally sitting around, waiting for someone to buy one.

charlietuna

Your "THINKING 100KVA"-- this needs engineering and load calcs. would you like to buy a 100kva unit and find out you actually had a 110kav load? but you could probably trade that 100 kva unit in on the properly sized unit--the manufacturer usually gives you about fifty cents on a dollar for the first unit.. do you own any data loggers to install on the service??

Riograndeelectric

thanks for all your input. this is my first generator that I will have bid and and assited with the design

I have wired Generators before but there was usally a set of plans to go with it.
does any have any idea what a generator 100KVA would cost. just looking at rough numbers for the momement

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unless you have an established company with an engineering staff that does design/build type work I wouldn't take on the onus of selecting the proper generator for this facility, should you win the bid. However, I'm sure the gen. mfr. could help you with proper sizing at the bid stage but bear in mind they are a sales company first. You may end up figuring on a generator the size of your van when when you may only need one the size of a Volkswagon.

When you put your bid together I would make sure I figured in the cost of an engineer. In addition, check with your municipality on what might be required for an installation of this size. I recently installed a 55KW gen set at a day camp facility. The mfr. required a 3" concrete pad under the generator but the township made us install 3' footings under the pad (a cost we didn't figure on).

It's too bad your first gen set installation/bid experience has to be this size. You need to pay for your education with these things. If you make a mistake on a smaller job you can take a hit, but making a mistake on a larger job without the benefit of some experience could really hurt you. I don't mean to appear negative with this but I would hate to see you get hurt (dollar wise) your first time out.;)

Riograndeelectric

Goldstar, you are not being negitive or rude . you have brought up some very good points and like you said I could take a hit on a smaller job but not a biger job. these are all good points. I very much respect and appreciate your suggestions.

This is why I like this forum every one comes togther to help out.

I looked up some prices on ine to get a rough idea on genset prices and for 45kw generator was going for around $12,000. and a 150kw for $20,000. these prices will help me to let the clinic owner know what he might have to pay just for the genset alone.
thank you to all for the great advice.

mdshunk

Just so you know, you're normally going to have to pay for a factory tech (or similarly trained person) to commission the larger generators to keep the warranty valid.

tkb

Another thing to watch out for is the required permits.
Not just electrical, but you may need a building permit for the pad and a fuel storage permit and a permit just to put the generator outside.

Check with the town or city to see if there are any special requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.