Thread: afci type??

Smile afci type??

This is more a ?
    I would like to ask
    I have a new home " " now this home has 3 bedrooms ,2 bathrooms 1 kitchen and so on.
    2 bedrooms have a 12/3 as a line (to different circuits sharing the same neutral) (phase "a"=n of out lets --- phase "b"=n of out lets ) (phase "a" bedroom1--- phase "b" bedroom2)

Now the question is: Can we install on the circuit panel a AFCI type of breakers for this 2 particular branch circuits?

Quote Originally Posted by bb_becker
    This is more a ?
    I would like to ask
    I have a new home " " now this home has 3 bedrooms ,2 bathrooms 1 kitchen and so on.
    2 bedrooms have a 12/3 as a line (to different circuits sharing the same neutral) (phase "a"=n of out lets --- phase "b"=n of out lets ) (phase "a" bedroom1--- phase "b" bedroom2)

Now the question is: Can we install on the circuit panel a AFCI type of breakers for this 2 particular branch circuits?
    You will not be able to use single pole AFCIs. They require separate grounded conductors. You will have to use a 2 pole AFCI. I don't think all manufacturers make them.
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

I would use a single pole AFCI for each 12/3 and jump the red and black together to the same breaker.

No reason a single 20 amp circuit can not supply the lights and receptacles in a bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ0906
    You will not be able to use single pole AFCIs. They require separate grounded conductors. You will have to use a 2 pole AFCI. I don't think all manufacturers make them.

John,

2-pole arc fault breakers?? Who manufactures those?? I have yet to see them. Also, i would think that you would have the same issue that you would using a MWBC that is GFCI protected. Shared neutral can cause nuisance tripping. I would also appreciate an explanation of how you can have a "2 pole AFCI with "separate" "grounded" conductors, which would indicate TWO circuits, not a MWBC. The "grounded" conductor would be your neutral.....
    Last edited by SPARKS40; 06-02-08 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPARKS40
    2-pole arc fault breakers?? Who manufactures those??
    In the branch feeder, Cutler Hammer, Siemens & GE. The combination AFCI is available in single pole, only, at present.

The question to bb_becker is whether that jurisdiction requires combination or branch feeder AFCI.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKS40
    I would also appreciate an explanation of how you can have a "2 pole AFCI with "separate" "grounded" conductors, which would indicate TWO circuits, not a MWBC. The "grounded" conductor would be your neutral.....
    When the two neutrals are wirenutted together and a pigtail is connected from the wirenut to the neutral load terminal of a two pole AFCI (or GFCI), the pigtail is a "shared neutral" making the whole setup a multiwire branch circuit.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by iwire
    I would use a single pole AFCI for each 12/3 and jump the red and black together to the same breaker.

No reason a single 20 amp circuit can not supply the lights and receptacles in a bedroom.

Notice Bob said "jump" to the breaker. Most breakers are rated for one conductor only and not double tapped.
    Old and in the Way.......

Quote Originally Posted by 76nemo
    Notice Bob said "jump" to the breaker. Most breakers are rated for one conductor only and not double tapped.
    Dont worry, the Home Inspectors always find that violation.
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."