Flag pole light

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_p

Hi,

My local fire station has a 40' pole which currently has two 300 incandescent spots approximately 6' from the base and ground mounted.

These are not working and the lamps are not able to be found.

Looking for replacements.

I contacted RAB and they suggested using an HSLED13A LED Spot. Supposed to be good for 40'.

Does anyone have experience with these.

The main goal is GOOD illumination on the flag.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Steve

PetrosA

The number they gave you is the brightest, but it's also a 5100K color temp and very low CRI. Together, that might be a pretty ugly effect. I think I'd go for the 4000k LEDs which have a better CRI with slightly less lumens. Of the outdoor LEDs I've seen, RAB looks pretty solid and well designed. Some of the cheaper brands look really awful and there's no way I'd want to ground mount them in a visible area :(

http://www.rabweb.com/productLine.php?productLine=HSLED

Maybe try and get a sample from a local supplier for testing. That would answer most of your concerns.

broadgage

Does color rendering much matter for a flag ?
I would think not, presuming that this is the USA flag which consists of primary red, primary blue, and white. Such distinct colours will be clear even under light of poor colour rendering.
Although the colors might in theory be slightly distorted actual flags vary a lot.

The high colour temperature should be fine as it resembles the natural light in which the flag is viewed in daytime.

Good and bright much more important than CRI for flags IMHO.

steve_p

Thanks,

The RAB are speedy for what they are. They request is a well lot flag.

I never saw the current ones working so I do not know what they expect.

The existing a lamps are about 7" in diameter, 120V, with a two pin attachment similar to a car headlight.

I know the LED life span and low power consumption will be in its favor.

Metal Halide is another option I suppose.

Any recommendation there?

AdrianWint

The existing a lamps are about 7" in diameter, 120V, with a two pin attachment similar to a car headlight.

That sounds very much like a PAR56 lamp. These are stilll very much a current lamp - Try asking at a theatrical supplies house instead of the electrical supply house.

They come in spot, medium flood & wide flood, so you'll need to work out which one you have - it will say on the side.

Adrian

PetrosA

Does color rendering much matter for a flag ?
I would think not, presuming that this is the USA flag which consists of primary red, primary blue, and white. Such distinct colours will be clear even under light of poor colour rendering.
Although the colors might in theory be slightly distorted actual flags vary a lot.

The high colour temperature should be fine as it resembles the natural light in which the flag is viewed in daytime.

Good and bright much more important than CRI for flags IMHO.

My thinking is this - it's hard enough to sell people LEDs as it is and when they see really ugly colors like a 5000K light from some of the cheap brands, they're totally unwilling to discuss LEDs in their homes or businesses. RAB's 5000K might not look super blue so it may be okay but it has one of the lowest CRIs of any of their 13W flag lights (67 vs. 84 and 87), just slightly better than a metal halide lamp. It sounds like the customer is used to seeing an incandescent lamp there, so the jump to 5000K may be a shock at first. In a worst case scenario, you'd end up with a purple, cyan and blue flag :(

cpinetree

Here is a Grainger link (likely not the cheapest place to purchase them) 300w Par56 120v Narrow spot, this lamp is only rated for 2000hrs: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GE-LIGHTING-Halogen-Sealed-Beam-Spotlight-5V125?gclid=CNrhk6H6mbQCFQu0nQodeikAXg&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Lighting-_-Lamps-_-5V125&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=5V125&ef_id=zfJQTiX963wAAEMe:20121214130217:s

LED or metal halide would probably be a better choice for longevity, and energy savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.