CPR training

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

I know we have been over this a time ot two, but as the year ends we always have the debate on CPR training. NFPA70E 110.2 (c).... Employees shall be regularly instructed in methods....fist aid... resuscitation.... if their duties warrent such training.... CPR certified annually.

1. Duties warrent ?? .... the question is who gets the training? The electrcial folks??? Most places I've worked.... troubleshooting on live circuits is usally done solo.

What about the HVAC guy that usually works alone?

Instrument techs...may have to work on 110v soleniod valve, typically solo.

Same thing with some of the controls folks. Should these shops be required to take CPR..... or should we start re-thinking working solo.

I know the answer is readly apparent but interested in how other sites view this. Looking forward to the replies from this esteemed group.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I know we have been over this a time ot two, but as the year ends we always have the debate on CPR training. NFPA70E 110.2 (c).... Employees shall be regularly instructed in methods....fist aid... resuscitation.... if their duties warrent such training.... CPR certified annually.

1. Duties warrent ?? .... the question is who gets the training? The electrcial folks??? Most places I've worked.... troubleshooting on live circuits is usally done solo.

Same thing with some of the controls folks. Should these shops be required to take CPR..... or should we start re-thinking working solo.

I know the answer is readly apparent but interested in how other sites view this. Looking forward to the replies from this esteemed group.
I work alone all the time Just about ,But it would not hurt me to take CPR in fact everone should.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I dunno about all the rules either but some of the places I work require current CPR and first aid cards in order to work on site.

I don't get any extra pay for having the cards, but I do get a days pay and some lunch to go to class every other year.

Oh, one more thing. I gain the confidence that if someone drops over in front of me having heart attack I know how to use the defibrulator and shock him the proper way.

Last edited:

jumper

I dunno about all the rules either but some of the places I work require current CPR and first aid cards in order to work on site.

I don't get any extra pay for having the cards, but I do get a days pay and some lunch to go to class every other year.

Oh, one more thing. I gain the confidence that if someone drops over in front of me having heart attack I know how to use the defibrulator and shock him the proper way.

Just use a megger on the poor guy.:D

The CPR/first aid requirement is a some 70E thing, technically a person is supposed to take retraining every year-but no one I know does.

cornbread

I'm in total agreement with CPR training. I guess my real question is the reasoning behind NFPA70E. I'm assuming the reason is that if you are working in pairs that your patrner would be able to administer CPR if needed.... so is there a implied working in pairs from 70E?

renosteinke

In 40+ years of working, I've never had an employer who had the slightest interest in my knowing CPR - let alone willing to pay for it!

I'll go farther: even having serious credentials in the area (at one time, the toughest paramedic license in the country) has been of zero help in finding work, provoking only giggles and smirks at the interview.

zog

In 40+ years of working, I've never had an employer who had the slightest interest in my knowing CPR - let alone willing to pay for it!

I'll go farther: even having serious credentials in the area (at one time, the toughest paramedic license in the country) has been of zero help in finding work, provoking only giggles and smirks at the interview.

Hmm, I have never worked at a place where we did not do annual CPR training.

zog

The OSHA requirement is, and always has been the same.

1910.269 (b)(1) "Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid training." When employees are performing work on or associated with exposed lines or equipment energized at 50 volts or more, persons trained in first aid including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) shall be available as follows:

(b)(1)(i) For field work involving two or more employees at a work location, at least two trained persons shall be available. However, only one trained person need be
available if all new employees are trained in first aid, including CPR, within 3 months of their hiring dates.

(b)(1)(ii) For fixed work locations such as generating stations, the number of trained persons available shall be sufficient to ensure that each employee exposed to electric shock can be reached within 4 minutes by a trained person. However, where the existing number of employees is insufficient to meet this requirement (at a remote substation, for example), all employees at the work location shall be trained.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Hmm, I have never worked at a place where we did not do annual CPR training.
The number of years between CPR re-certification will vary based on who is doing the certification and what the training is for (e.g. first responders maybe different than the general public). According to the Red Cross website, their CPR/AED certification is good for 2 years. The American Heart Association CPR is also on a two year cycle.

zog

The number of years between CPR re-certification will vary based on who is doing the certification and what the training is for (e.g. first responders maybe different than the general public). According to the Red Cross website, their CPR/AED certification is good for 2 years. The American Heart Association CPR is also on a two year cycle.

Correct, we just do it every year (RN Wife gets her volunteer credit hours for it)

TimK

Even with all of us out working solo, there is still a good chance that more than one of us are in the same building and could save each other. IMO a very good idea, although it is just one of MANY cards that they are asking us to carry now-a-days.

Status
Not open for further replies.