Inspector got run off by paint lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

William1978

Went to a job today for a final and started testing the rec's and come to a painted circle on the concrete floor and I stopped and asked the electrician if it was ok to walk on the floor he said it was painted yesturday and it's dry so I go on testing the rec's and then the paint lady jumps all in my a$$ for stepping on her painted circle and told me that I can't be in this area. So what I'm asking is does happen to ya'll also or just me?:-? I had to fail the job because it inaccesible but, I made it where it would not go against the EC because its not his fault.

romeo

The EC should have been sure that the you would have been able to do the inspection.IMO it is his fault.

William1978

romeo said:
The EC should have been sure that the you would have been able to do the inspection.IMO it is his fault.
Yes, I agree with you on that. The GC on this job is so disorginized it is a shame. (Kid strait out of school)

SEO

Whoever called you for the inspection is responsible. I've had the same issue with painted steps and could not access the basement. What about all the plates off (by painter) who do you write the violation for that? You don't know if they will be put back on or not. Electrician is always the one holding the bag. Can't write the painter a violation he isn't the permit holder.

bphgravity

Yes. I have this problem all the time. The most common one is the painted garage floor. It's pretty hard to get to the branch circuit panelboard located on a garage wall when the floor is wet. It's also a bad idea for the contractor to call in the inspection on the day the cleaning crew is in the building.

Other similar issues that necessitate a failed inspection and USUALLY not the fault of the sub-contractor are locked doors upon arrival of inspection and missing plans and/or permit card on the job site.

We, as should all inspectors, need consent to enter backyards and closed gates for inspections. Many times, the contractor fails to notice the homeowner on the date and time of the inspection. Another reason to fail an inspection for a really stupid reason...

Jim W in Tampa

bphgravity said:
Yes. I have this problem all the time. The most common one is the painted garage floor. It's pretty hard to get to the branch circuit panelboard located on a garage wall when the floor is wet. It's also a bad idea for the contractor to call in the inspection on the day the cleaning crew is in the building.

Other similar issues that necessitate a failed inspection and USUALLY not the fault of the sub-contractor are locked doors upon arrival of inspection and missing plans and/or permit card on the job site.

We, as should all inspectors, need consent to enter backyards and closed gates for inspections. Many times, the contractor fails to notice the homeowner on the date and time of the inspection. Another reason to fail an inspection for a really stupid reason...

painter puts them back but puts ones with gfi sticker whearever he likes.Back charge them and they learn,fix it free and they never will.

ivsenroute

Had a similar issue with a Toll Brothers house. Painters were still there and did not put up any signs nor did they speak any English at all.

The homeowner and I walked around together and he ended up slipping on the fresh paint on the basement steps and I grabbed the freshly painted handrail. We both did this after we already walked up the steps and tracked paint onto the new hardwood floor then were heading back down when we realized what had happened.

The GC had to clean up the mess.

They did not get a C of O that day.

William1978

bphgravity said:

Yes were not aloud to go in the back yard without the permission of the homeowner or have the contractor with us because one of our inspectors walked around to the back of the house and a lady was changing clothes.

bphgravity

William1978 said:
Yes were not aloud to go in the back yard without the permission of the homeowner or have the contractor with us because one of our inspectors walked around to the back of the house and a lady was changing clothes.

We have had dog bites. We have had animals escape. We have had animals enter. We have had naked people. We have had people doing other illegal things. If you can imagine it, it has happened.

While most of your run of the mill permits and the administrative provisions of the code indicate the right of entry for work that is under the scope of the permit, the civil rights of the private owner take precendent.

Consent is the most important word in the enforcement industry...

Brady Electric

I think you were in the right.
If you are like all of us now you don't have time to waste.
Although some people need to be put in there place.
It's always up to us to make sure everything is ready when we call for inspection.
Keep up the good work.
Semper Fi Buddy

SEO

bphgravity said:
We have had dog bites. We have had animals escape. We have had animals enter. We have had naked people. We have had people doing other illegal things. If you can imagine it, it has happened.

While most of your run of the mill permits and the administrative provisions of the code indicate the right of entry for work that is under the scope of the permit, the civil rights of the private owner take precendent.

Consent is the most important word in the enforcement industry...
I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.