gas piping bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
250.104(B)
B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.
Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
jayparr said:
Does the NEC specifically require metal gas piping to be bonded?

If you are talking about CSST piping ( the yellow stuff ) then no however the manufacturers of those products do require bonding.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Inspectorcliff said:
Here in the Colorful State, we allow the second sentence from the end of the quote to do the bonding.
Actually all states should if they are following the NEC as it's worded.

1100205853_2.jpg

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis, why did you assume the OP was talking about CSST?

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
roger said:
Dennis, why did you assume the OP was talking about CSST?

Roger

I am not really assuming it is but it could be what the op is asking since that is a common question. Many people are very confused on the issue.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
I am not really assuming it is but it could be what the op is asking since that is a common question. Many people are very confused on the issue.

But the OP's words were,
Does the NEC specifically require metal gas piping to be bonded?
which is specifically addressed in 250.104(B)

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
roger said:
But the OP's words were, which is specifically addressed in 250.104(B)

Roger

Does it really matter. CSST is also a metal gas pipe. I was just making sure the op understood there was a difference but it seems you are not happy with that so......you win-- I won't bring it up

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Does it really matter. CSST is also a metal gas pipe. I was just making sure the op understood there was a difference but it seems you are not happy with that so......you win-- I won't bring it up
I don't know what your problem is Dennis, go back and read the thread in order reading the words of the posts and not what you want the posts to say.

In post #6 you asked me if I assumed it was black iron pipe and in turn I asked you why you assumed it was CSST, then I pointed out the OP's wording and why 250.104(B) would apply, sorry if you think that was an indication that I was unhappy (I'm not) and sorry that it obviously upset you. :rolleyes:

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
fireryan said:
So if I am reading this right as long as the gas pipe is bonded at entry then the flexible yellow gas line is bonded also, but nothing after the yellow flexible line is. such as in larry question in the other post
I'm glad someone understands what my question really was. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.