Transfer sw location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daja7

I am installing a residential generator and this is the senario.
Main disconnect to the panel is outside, 200 amp panel is in the garage. no room on either side of the panel or below it. open crawl space behind the panel where the SER feeds the panel. Is there any reason i cannot put the transfer switch in the crawl? there are not any circuit breakers in the trnsf sw, just the contactor. Main disc is accessable out side and panel is in garage. Crawl space is clean and accesable via door next to panel in garage.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, unless you have 6-1/2 ft head room, you would be in violation of 110.26 as it states "all electrical equipment".

Daja7

that is what i was thinking until i read 110.26 E exception. In existing dwelling units service equipment and panelboards that do not exceed 200 amps shall be permited to be less than 6 1/2 feet. After reading all applicable codes i think i am ok. we will see what the inspector thinks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
that is what i was thinking until i read 110.26 E exception. In existing dwelling units service equipment and panelboards that do not exceed 200 amps shall be permited to be less than 6 1/2 feet. After reading all applicable codes i think i am ok. we will see what the inspector thinks.
If you are adding atransfer switch after the main disconnect, which is what you stated in the OP, it is not service equipment, nor is it exisitng.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are adding atransfer switch after the main disconnect, which is what you stated in the OP, it is not service equipment, nor is it exisitng.

I agree, Be interesting to see what the OP''s inspector thinks.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO, unless you have 6-1/2 ft head room, you would be in violation of 110.26 as it states "all electrical equipment".

I would be happy with strong enforcement of that. A junction box in a tight crawl space is still part of "all electrical equipment":)

Of course they had to throw in the words "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized", which has created much confusion as to just exactly does it apply to.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Irrespective of what may or may not be Code compliant you have to think logically and ask yourself "Is this device serviceable?" If you can stand there and work on the unit then it's serviceable. If you have to lay on your back to work on it then it's not.

kwired

Electron manager
Irrespective of what may or may not be Code compliant you have to think logically and ask yourself "Is this device serviceable?" If you can stand there and work on the unit then it's serviceable. If you have to lay on your back to work on it then it's not.

You have to remember to consider the "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" part of 110.26. If it is not likely (which is the part that is subject to interpretation) or otherwise required to be "readily accessible" then NEC doesn't care how hard it is to get to it to service it.

Status
Not open for further replies.