sub-panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelersman

where does it state in the code 02, 05, and 08 how many conductors to use for a feeder to a sub-panel? I've always thought 4-wire was required but I can't find it in the 02. Is there any application when you can use 3-wire? Does it matter if it's a seperate building as to the number of conductors required? I know now that you are required to drive ground rods if it's a detatched building, but does that mean that you can run 3 conductors instead of 4?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
steelersman said:
where does it state in the code 02, 05, and 08 how many conductors to use for a feeder to a sub-panel? I've always thought 4-wire was required but I can't find it in the 02. Is there any application when you can use 3-wire? Does it matter if it's a seperate building as to the number of conductors required? I know now that you are required to drive ground rods if it's a detatched building, but does that mean that you can run 3 conductors instead of 4?

As of 08 you must run 4 wires to a detached structure. See 250.32(B)

iwire

Staff member
IMO 250.32 does not answer the question

where does it state in the code 02, 05, and 08 how many conductors to use for a feeder to a sub-panel?

IMO the answer is in 250.4 or 250.24, I just can't remember which.

steelersman

George Stolz said:
For 2005 and prior, check this out.

For 2008 and beyond, you are basically required to run an EGC for any detached structure, 250.32.
ok but you still have to drive a ground rod or 2 at the sub-panel even though you run an EGC with the feeders per 08 correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Basically the 2005 had a section 250.(B)(2) which allowed not running an egc in certain instances. The 2008 deleted that section.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
For a detached structure I believe 230.79 also applies and has a direct relation to how many and what size conductors you need.

iwire

Staff member
OK, let me try.:)

I have a two floor house with a basement, the service panel is in the basement and I want to add a panel on the second floor, what code section requires that I run separate grounded and grounding conductors?

steelersman

iwire said:
OK, let me try.:)

I have a two floor house with a basement, the service panel is in the basement and I want to add a panel on the second floor, what code section requires that I run separate grounded and grounding conductors?
I don't know but I would like to

Status
Not open for further replies.