laundry receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

wouldn't the laundry area be where ever the washer/dryer is regardless? I would run some #12 and call it a day.

btw; whats so hard about finding a 20a 240V recept? I just put one in

480sparky

steelersman said:
Just understand that Al Gore never said he invented the internet.

"During my service in the Unites States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
---interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN, 1999.

steelersman

480sparky said:
Where are those definitions in the NEC? Or are they in the UL white book? ICC? OSHA 1926? :grin: ;)
where does it say in the NEC that he said he invented the internet? In Genesis it doesn't say: In the beginning God invented the ....

Just go to the link provided and it will explain the confusion. And I don't particularly care for Al Gore but I'm just pointing out the facts.:)

Last edited:

480sparky

steelersman said:
where does it say in the NEC that he said he invented the internet? In Genesis it doesn't say: In the beginning God invented the ....

Just go to the link provided and it will explain the confusion. And I don't particularly care for Al Gore but I'm just pointing out the facts.:)

Well, we could beat this to death just like ground up/down, so I'm not going to say any more because it's getting off-topic.

steelersman

480sparky said:
Well, we could beat this to death just like ground up/down, so I'm not going to say any more because it's getting off-topic.
I don't see any argument that could be made if you read the article in the link it explains quite well. :)

sparky723

Good Grief!!

Good Grief!!

I can't believe this witch hunt has gone on for as long as it has. I have had my post ended a much for a lesser reason than this one should have been before page 5. iwire,roger,somebody step up and put this thread out of its misery. GEEZ!:roll: :grin:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
sparky723 said:
I can't believe this witch hunt has gone on for as long as it has. I have had my post ended a much for a lesser reason than this one should have been before page 5. iwire,roger,somebody step up and put this thread out of its misery. GEEZ!:roll: :grin:

Why do people ever so often demand a thread get locked up because it has gone on so long. I myself would like to say I enjoy reading the different views an have changed my own mind twice while reading.
Thanks! :smile:

S'mise

celtic said:
You tell me....I'll need a code article to support your opinion.
I don't have a book with me right now to site an article but I see this forum as a chance to understand the opinions of members, because lets face it the NEC is subject to iwide nterpetation. Thats why it changes every cycle to clarify how we interpet it. Eg. The NEC added a definition for kitchen "permanent facilities for food preparation and cooking...." So what is the definition of "Laundry" area. If It's in an open basement can I put the 20 circuit anywhere in the basement? Is the whole basement now a laundry area? Everyone sees things a little diferent but some of it falls on common sense.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
celtic said:
Going back to a question I asked previously: Is an iron "laundry equipment"?
The answer to that question would not alter the results of this discussion. Nothing in the NEC tells us what the laundry circuit is intended to provide power for.
480sparky said:
Clarification: 210.50(C) says it's gotta be within 6' of the laundry.
It says no such thing. If you know that an appliance is to be installed, and if you know where the owner intends to put that appliance, then the receptacle you install to power that appliance must be within 6 feet of that location. But if the required laundry receptacle outlet is not intended to power a specific appliance (for example if you have a 30 amp stacked unit), then there are no restrictions on its location.
stickboy1375 said:
. . . what the NEC does care about is that you have a 120v, 20a receptacle in the laundry area.
I disagree. ?Laundry Area? is the title of one paragraph, and it is that paragraph that requires at least one receptacle outlet. But nowhere is there a description of what constitutes a ?laundry area,? and nowhere is there a restriction that a residence have only one area that meets that description. Many posts in this thread have been along the lines of ?this is how I do it,? or ?just put this in and call it a day.? But the essence of the question is, ?What do the words in the NEC, as written, require us to do??
celtic said:
Where does the NEC state that "you have a 120v, 20a receptacle in the laundry area."? Where does it state that the 120v cannot be on the second floor, basement, etc (away from the "laundry area")?
I submit that a house can have two areas that bear the description, ?laundry area.? I can have a 30a receptacle to serve a stacked unit on the first floor, and I can install a 120 volt, 20 amp receptacle on another floor. It would not matter if I intended to use that second floor receptacle to power a separate washing machine or an iron or a special type of fluff-air dryer for clothing items that say ?dry-clean only? on their tags. If I declare that receptacle to be the required laundry outlet, and if there are no other outlets on that circuit, I will have met the letter of the law.

Let me put it this way. If I were to have a new circuit added to my house, and if it were intended to supply power to some new receptacle outlets in my dining room, then that circuit would become, by rule, a ?Small Appliance Circuit.? If I were to design a new house, and if I were to decide to place the required laundry receptacle in a specific location, then the immediate vicinity of that receptacle would become, by rule, a ?laundry area.? I may or may not have an additional laundry area elsewhere in the house.

celtic

S'mise said:
wouldn't the laundry area be where ever the washer/dryer is regardless?

celtic said:
You tell me....I'll need a code article to support your opinion.
S'mise said:
I don't have a book with me right now to site an article ....
I'd would say the related articles have been posted ~ however, the NFPA site seems to have an attitude lately.
Here, IMHO, are the relevant articles:

2005 NEC said:
210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits.
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided
to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

210.52(F) Laundry Areas.
In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.
Some have cited:
2005 NEC said:
210.50(C) Appliance Outlets.
Appliance receptacle outlets installed in a dwelling unit for specific appliances, such as laundry equipment, shall be installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the intended location of the appliance.

BTW, the NEC does not understand the term "common sense" :grin:

celtic

sparky723 said:
LOL

You know - you don't have to gawk at the car accident on the side of the road ~ you chose to.

4.14.FF0000.No+rubber+necking%21.png

:grin:

480sparky

celtic said:
BTW, the NEC does not understand the term "common sense" :grin:

Darkness is not the opposite of light. Darkness is the absence of light.
Silence is not the opposite of sound. Silence is the absence of sound.
Cold is not the opposite of heat. Cold is the absence of heat.
The NEC is not the opposite of common sense. The NEC is the absence of common sense. :grin: :grin:

--- be sure to give me credit for this when you quote me on this one. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.