still no gas; think I know why now

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
My town is officially completely out of gas; so are many other stations in the area.

I think I got a good explanation though:

They shut the pipeline off just before Ike, and prices for gas skyrocketed. I talked to a station owner today and his explanation for the shortage was this:

They suppliers quit selling fuel on credit when they closed the pipeline. They require cash payment before the fuel tanker will come to the station. He said they put what they can afford in the tanks, and when its all gone, they send out the cash and get in line for the tanker truck. And with the pipeline closed its a very long line.

This is putting a serious damper on productivity.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
jmsbrush said:
There are some places that our out of gas here. I just can't undrstand how our country is doing so bad.

it seems to be just certain areas. there are towns 50 miles away that haven't experienced the slightest hiccup with fuel prices or supply. i think its like the station owner told me; its all on the supplier making it difficult to get the fuel. A lot of the stations around here are individually owned, so I can see where dropping up to $30k cash to fill up the tanks could be difficult. with the markup the station puts on the gas, they'll most likely lose a lot of money on a short term credit line from a bank. it would most likely require them to raise the price to an uncompetitive amount.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i don't know what the definite source of the problem is because no one will really say; but i do know its just isolated to specific areas. unfortunately i live in one of those areas.

jbfan74

brantmacga said:
i don't know what the definite source of the problem is because no one will really say; but i do know its just isolated to specific areas. unfortunately i live in one of those areas.

The excuse they hand us is the additives required for the epa air quality.
The news said Savannah had plenty of gas.
The news also blames us, the consumer, for panic buying.
I have 4 stations within 1/2 mile of my house with no gas. The next closest station is 5 miles away.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
jbfan74 said:
The excuse they hand us is the additives required for the epa air quality.
The news said Savannah had plenty of gas.
The news also blames us, the consumer, for panic buying.
I have 4 stations within 1/2 mile of my house with no gas. The next closest station is 5 miles away.

the "additive cost" excuse doesn't make sense, because most every station here now has a sticker at the pump that says they use ethanol as the additive, which replaced whatever they were using before. using ethanol is cheaper than the other additive they were putting in, and is supposed to help keep the price down.

i bought gas again tonight for $4.20. Had to drive past several stations to find one that had gas. I got it yesterday for $3.85. The prices are drastically different on different sides of the city. I was in a town about 25 miles away today and it was $3.73; I should've bought there but didn't take the time to stop.

jbfan74

The news last night said the epa lifted the requirments until 10/2, and the trucks can carry more fuel, and the drivers can work longer, but it may still be Columbus day before we are back to normal.

brantmacga said:
it seems to be just certain areas. there are towns 50 miles away that haven't experienced the slightest hiccup with fuel prices or supply. i think its like the station owner told me; its all on the supplier making it difficult to get the fuel. A lot of the stations around here are individually owned, so I can see where dropping up to $30k cash to fill up the tanks could be difficult. with the markup the station puts on the gas, they'll most likely lose a lot of money on a short term credit line from a bank. it would most likely require them to raise the price to an uncompetitive amount.
Yeah, but it's better that they shut them off when they're faced with a hurricane, rather than leave them on so they can split and spew gas everywhere.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
DanZ said:
Yeah, but it's better that they shut them off when they're faced with a hurricane, rather than leave them on so they can split and spew gas everywhere.

i never said I have a problem with them turning off the pipeline during a hurricane. if you'll read through the thread, you'll see where I've stated towns within an drive from here aren't having any problems whatsoever, and some are more severe. that is what I have a problem with.

Karl H

Our fuel prices are going down alittle bit and we have the highest
fuel prices in the country...So I hear. Diesel in my area is still at $5.00
gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.