Thread: Circuit Breaker Manufactures

Circuit Breaker Manufactures

I was wondering the replacement breakers for challenger breakers. I was told a bunch of different things, the only one that I am leaning to is TB or a breaker Connecticut?. If anyone could help me out if they know I would appreciate it, also if anyone has listings on breaker replacements that are UL listed like CH breakers etc! or where I could find them THANKS.

The direct UL listed replacement for Challenger is Cutler Hammer. If you look carefully at a Cutler Hammer "BR" style plug in breaker it will have two distinct part numbers on it. For instance, a single pole 15 A breaker would be a "BR115" and "C115" - the "BR" standing for Bryant and the "C" standing for Challenger.

The other option would be a UL Classified breaker, and as far as I know only Cutler Hammer makes them at this time, so it would be pretty pointless to use a Cutler Hammer Classified breaker when a plain ole Cutler Hammer BR breaker would suffice.

Also, Cutler Hammer BR style breakers are listed for use in Westinghouse and Bryant panelboards in addition to Challenger.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d
    The direct UL listed replacement for Challenger is Cutler Hammer. If you look carefully at a Cutler Hammer "BR" style plug in breaker it will have two distinct part numbers on it. For instance, a single pole 15 A breaker would be a "BR115" and "C115" - the "BR" standing for Bryant and the "C" standing for Challenger.

The other option would be a UL Classified breaker, and as far as I know only Cutler Hammer makes them at this time, so it would be pretty pointless to use a Cutler Hammer Classified breaker when a plain ole Cutler Hammer BR breaker would suffice.

Also, Cutler Hammer BR style breakers are listed for use in Westinghouse and Bryant panelboards in addition to Challenger.
    Replacement list
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

Thank you John for the official backup to my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d
    Thank you John for the official backup to my statement.
    I think that was originally posted by MDShunk.
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

thanks for the info!