RTD in class 1 div 2 area.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

connelyd

I currently have RTDs installed in a class 1 div 2, group B location(on top of an electrolytic tank in a thermowell) but the 4-20mA transmitters are installed in an unclassified area. The RTDs are connected via wirenuts in general purpose enclosures to more wire that then goes to the transmitters. All of the conduit used to run the wire is class 1 div 2 compliant. Is this an exceptable installation? I can't find anything in the code that would suggest it is not, but being young, I figured I should ask. Thanks in advance.

photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I currently have RTDs installed in a class 1 div 2, group B location(on top of an electrolytic tank in a thermowell) but the 4-20mA transmitters are installed in an unclassified area. The RTDs are connected via wirenuts in general purpose enclosures to more wire that then goes to the transmitters. All of the conduit used to run the wire is class 1 div 2 compliant. Is this an exceptable installation? I can't find anything in the code that would suggest it is not, but being young, I figured I should ask. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 8057 View attachment 8058

I don't think the wire nuts matter.

Take a look at 501.105 (B)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Assuming, "... All of the conduit used to run the wire is class 1 div 2 compliant..." is correct, what about the cable? Again assuming the cable is compliant with 501.10(B)(4),(5), or (6) AND 501.30(B) Exception, the installation appears acceptable.

The wirenuts are acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.