Thread: Load Diversity

Load Diversity

How would you describe "load diversity" as referenced in Table B.310.11 of the 2002 N.E.C.? Would it be possible to use the load diversity factor for a receptacle load in an office setting?

Only half of the conductors are loaded at a time and the 50% factor is by AHJ approval.

Probably not going to happen for office receptacles. You can get to other demand factors, with approval from the AHJ, like with motors (see NEC 430.26).

Thank you for helping me to understand load diversity better, I didn't think about art 430.26.

The table that is now Table B.310.11 was at one point in time Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) and was moved to the annex because there was no agreement on what "load diversity" actually means.
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Dickieboy Guest
    I always looked it as a change in requirements to meet the needs of the time,derived from the word diverse. ie: you may need two coffee pots going in the morning vs 1 in the afternoon so the afternoon load diversity was 50 %.

I used to use 60% on office receptacles but in todays market and the advent of everyone having a computer the diversity goes away and circuit needs to be available for full loading IMO

dick

load diversity

Many Electricians And Engineers Confuse Load Diversity With Demand Factors For Feeders And Service Calcuculations