Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
When did the code begin to specify that a hot tub disconnect had to be more than five feet from the inside of the tub. I had someone tell me that this was not a requirement in 99.

celtic

blueheels2 said:
When did the code begin to specify that a hot tub disconnect had to be more than five feet from the inside of the tub. I had someone tell me that this was not a requirement in 99.

1999 NEC said:
680-12. Disconnecting Means
A disconnecting means shall be provided and be accessible, located within sight from all pools, spas, and hot tub equipment, and shall be located at least 5 ft (1.52 m) from the inside walls of the pool, spa, or hot tub.

.....60.001" works for me :grin:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
1999 NEC article 680.38 says that an emergency shutoff or control switch for stopping the motor shall be at least 5 feet away. It shows a revision line, meaning that it had changed from 1996, but I do not know what the change entailed.

That requirement moved to 680.41 in the 2002 version. It is still there in the 2008.

celtic

charlie b said:
1999 NEC article 680.38 says that an emergency shutoff or control switch for stopping the motor shall be at least 5 feet away. It shows a revision line, meaning that it had changed from 1996, but I do not know what the change entailed.
Is the E-Stop [680.38] a disconnect [680.12]?

1999 NEC said:
680-12. Disconnecting Means
A disconnecting means shall be provided and be accessible, located within sight from all pools, spas, and hot tub equipment, and shall be located at least 5 ft (1.52 m) from the inside walls of the pool, spa, or hot tub.

680-38. Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs
A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed readily accessible to the users and at least 5 ft (1.52 m) away, adjacent to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

How would affect a SFH?
No E-Stop and no disco?

Jim W in Tampa

Personally i want disconnect in site of all tubs but for residential not required (mine has it) Residential wants it in site of equipment but not closer than 5 feet from tub.It just might save a life if it can be seen.

celtic

Jim W in Tampa said:
EXACTLY thats why we want 5 feet.People do stupid stuff when drinking so we must make it ID 10 T proof

We all know that's not possible:

pool-electrical-socket.jpg

:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.