Nuisance tripping with Arc Fault breakers... help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jango

Hi all, I'm having some problems with a recently completed project where I'm getting feedback from the homeowner where the AFCI breakers (Square D Homeline) are tripping arbitrarily and at various times. I've been out to investigate and all connections are good and wiring is correct. Basically the various AFCI cts. in the bedrooms have incandescent recessed cans, smoke detectors, dimmer switches, and standard bedroom receptacles. While I'm there, the breakers remain on and fine and the lights turn on fine, etc. Any help on what to look for as the root of the problem(s) would be so much appreciated. Thanks!

360Youth

My first suggestion is to look again. I have not had many problems with the arcfault but the problems I do have is ground and neutral touching. Maybe happening when a door nearby gets closed and vibrates the two to touch. ) I even hear tall tales of a phone ringing causing a breaker to trip, so anything is possible. :smile: )

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't know where you live but certain areas of colorado ( I think Denver) had major issues with Sq. D and arc faults. That was awhile ago so I assume they worked out that issue.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Square D acknowledges random nuisance tripping issues with AFCI?s with date codes 0810 thru 0821. This is not a recall and not related to the recall they had a few years ago.

I had a project a few months ago that the customer complained all 3 AFCI?s would trip at the same time about once a week. This happened either during the day when they were at work or during the middle of the night. I called Square D and they told me to check the date codes because some of their breakers were exhibiting the exact symptoms I was experiencing. I had one of my guys replace the breakers and haven?t heard from the customer since.

360Youth

I was going to suggest trying a different breaker but around here that ususlly results in the Code Forum eqivalent to an Old Testament stoning. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
360Youth said:
I was going to suggest trying a different breaker but around here that ususlly results in the Code Forum eqivalent to an Old Testament stoning. :grin:

Not at all. That would be the first thing I would do....

Status
Not open for further replies.