100 amp sub panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is no limit. All that matters is that the demand load, or if you prefer the calculated load, on any panel is no higher than the panel's rating. If you could figure out how to make the connections, you could put 100 sub-panels, each rated for 225 amps, on a 400 amp main panel, if the load on each was, let us say, under 2 amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That must be the 4th or 5th time in the past week that a question of this nature has been asked.

Think of it this way, hypothetically I could have a 100 amp panel that feeds another 100 amp panel. The second panel may have one recep. on a cir. The panel could then feed another 100 amp panel which feeds another recep. That panel could also feed another 100 amp panel , etc...

Now disregarding continuous loads, if the load at each recep. was only 5 amps then you could have 20 sub panels feed one recep each before you reached the 100 amp max. Now the 21 st panel would be a problem.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
wbalsam1 said:
I can't think of many things dumber than a subpanel fed from a subpanel fed from a subpanel......ad nauseum......:mad: :)smile: )
Oh, I don't know. That is a category in which we have all see a number of top flight contenders. :wink: :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.