MASS NOTIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I AM PROVIDING A MASS NOTIFICATION SYSTEM IN A COLLEGE CAMPUS, THE CAMUS WOULD LIKE TO USE THE SPEAKERS AS A PUBLIC ADDRESS. DOES THE PUBLIC ADDRESS PHONE HEAD END HAVE TO RATED FOR USE WITH A FIRE ALARM? AND WHO MAKES THEM?

MassWarning

Mass Notification and NEC

Mass Notification and NEC

Hello

As far as electrical code is concerned, you need to follow whatever the local codes state. I don't believe there are specific codes for mass notification within NEC. Although, I could be wrong.

However, you do want to take a look at NFPA72, chapter 24 in particular. This chapter talks about emergency communication systems and their implementation. We design and install such systems for campuses. Please submit a request here if you'd like more information {please PM the poster using the PM function}
A few key features your mass notification system should have:

1.) A tone or siren to "alert" the recipient. This will draw their attention away from what they are doing.
2.) A notify component immediately following the alert informing the recipient of what to do.
3.) Battery backup, in the event of a power loss.
4.) A way to monitor nodes such as poling of the devices back to a server. This way you know all components are online.
5.) I suggest text to speech or pre-recorded messages to avoid a live voice. In a serious situation folks tend to not enunciate or articulate themselves well.

That's my two cents,

Good luck,

John

Last edited by a moderator:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I AM PROVIDING A MASS NOTIFICATION SYSTEM IN A COLLEGE CAMPUS, THE CAMUS WOULD LIKE TO USE THE SPEAKERS AS A PUBLIC ADDRESS. DOES THE PUBLIC ADDRESS PHONE HEAD END HAVE TO RATED FOR USE WITH A FIRE ALARM? AND WHO MAKES THEM?

1. Yes.
2. Siemens, among others. Their brand for mass notification is "Sygnal".

True mass notification is not a trivial task even in a single building. For campus wide, you're probably looking at about $100K per building for basic stuff like voice and LED panel vectoring, and integration with the existing fire alarm. More expensive if the existing FA panels aren't already voice, which they probably aren't. And that's not including any upgrades to the TCP/IP network than may be needed. This isn't just dropping a few amber strobes here and there and calling it a day.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My understanding is that you can do this on the cheap by not calling it a mass notification system. I think the term used is auxiliary messaging or something like that.

It is basically a plug in to the existing PA system.

Status
Not open for further replies.