Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

It is now. Repair the seals then re-fill with DISTILLED water and you should be good to go.

peter d

It's weird to see outdoor gear like that in New England. Must be customer supplied equipment to a boiler plate spec. Someone in their building/construction department should tell them indoor electrical rooms are a better choice for these parts of the county. ;)

iwire

Staff member
It's weird to see outdoor gear like that in New England. Must be customer supplied equipment to a boiler plate spec. Someone in their building/construction department should tell them indoor electrical rooms are a better choice for these parts of the county. ;)

Exactamundo my friend. :thumbsup:

The sad part is the block wall you see is the back side of an electrical room large enough to house all this gear.

peter d

Exactamundo my friend. :thumbsup:

The sad part is the block wall you see is the back side of an electrical room large enough to house all this gear.

Makes perfect sense. :lol:

Do you see a lot of this outdoor gear on your service calls? I've noticed it becoming very popular with some national retailers and restaurants.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I am pretty sure I know where the water is getting in. ;)

View attachment 8165
Well, it looks like they just didn't use enough caulk outside. . . and there's no weep hole drilled ( :roll: ) in the pipe to let the condensate out that collects above the duct seal (undoubtably missing as well).

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Dont the code state "anything above the concentric knockouts must have sealing lock-nuts or Myers style hubs" ? Thats not verbatim.. :)

Something like that.

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet loca-tions, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this ar-ticle shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6-mm (1⁄4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet lo-cations shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet loca-tions, raceways or cables entering above the level of unin-sulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.