First time Ive been asked this

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

Today I wired in a sub panel next to the main panel. Also ran a wire for a new airhandler. When I was finished he asked the price and I told him $525 materials and labor. I only had about 130 in materials.

He didnt have a problem with the price but after I told him he started thinking and asked me " so what you probally made about $300 on me after materials and expenses" Then I said "no probally more like $70" he knew I was joking but he dosent need to know what I made. He agreed to doing the subpanel at 400. The other 125 was extras he had me do after I got their.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
$400 for the subpanel was a bargain to begin with. Deduct your material, add your markup and overhead and you really didn't make all that much.

bth0mas20

I was just saying that it was funny that he asked me that question...like I was going to tell him the truth. I thought the price was fair for the time it took me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bth0mas20 said:
I was just saying that it was funny that he asked me that question...like I was going to tell him the truth. I thought the price was fair for the time it took me.

People always think if you made that much then they got ripped. It is no of his business how much you made. In reality if you take away the time to get materials, driving, gas, oh and labor you probably didn't make anywhere near $300.00.

My supply company use to be very secretive about their cost and their markup. I tell them I don't care if they make 1000% as long as they are competitive. We are all here to make a living.

mdshunk

Questions like that beg to be answered with a non-answer, or totally ignored. If he asked me, "you probably made 300 bucks...", I'd have probably just answered, "I wish it worked out like that".

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Dennis,

You and I are a 100% in agreement on this one! Working for someone else deserves some loyalty. Giving intellectual property (rates) can cause you, and your contractor, to lose work. Unless they have "a need to know" forget about getting numbers from me, and that includes going from one shop to another. Whatever happened to professional courtesy?

TOOL_5150

mdshunk said:
Questions like that beg to be answered with a non-answer, or totally ignored. If he asked me, "you probably made 300 bucks...", I'd have probably just answered, "I wish it worked out like that".

Now that is a simple, easy way to end that conversation.

~Matt

brian john

mdshunk said:

I would answer with travel and everything I think I undercharged you significantly.

LLSolutions

You made $300 if he put gas in your truck, paid your insurance bill, Your advertising, tools, and a whole lot more. I had one guy wanted my receipts from the supply house, I asked him if he wanted all the other ones associated with getting the job done.

MikeGee

LLSolutions said:
You made $300 if he put gas in your truck, paid your insurance bill, Your advertising, tools, and a whole lot more. I had one guy wanted my receipts from the supply house, I asked him if he wanted all the other ones associated with getting the job done.

how bout the last fuel pump receipt?

tonyou812

For someone to ask such a silly question you already know that he has no buisness sense. If this guy thinks that the 300 bucks goes right into you "New Flatscreen" fund than if really think his question doesnt even warrent a response. That would be like me telling my doctor "gee so I guess your gonna buy a new car now after I pay for that procedure?"....... Just silly....

SEO

The general public hasn't got a clue as to what it takes to run a business. All that they have invested is a lunch pail at most. They try to compare what they make per hour to what you have to charge for a job and don't know about any of the other expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.