Need to raise a service drop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
TOOL_5150 said:
I figured a new piece of 2" into the cost as well as new wire. I was just going to pull the old one out, and slip the new one in. Way easier said than done I am betting. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't bet against you, but maybe something I posted can help. Please let us know what you find.

TOOL_5150

I do appreciate your help. I am taking this job on this coming monday. But until then - its a little relax time. Ill post an update in here monday after work.

~Matt

Buck Parrish

You can get 2 in. galvanized rigid in 21 ft. lenths. Only thing is you have to get it at the plumbing supply house.
You can't tell it from electrical rigid.
The threads match and the weather head fits fine.
No problem with couplings on the mast.;)

ultramegabob

buckofdurham said:
You can get 2 in. galvanized rigid in 21 ft. lenths. Only thing is you have to get it at the plumbing supply house.
You can't tell it from electrical rigid.
The threads match and the weather head fits fine.
No problem with couplings on the mast.;)

I bet it would be fun standing a 21' stick of 2" ridged straight up and down, guide it down a hole in a roof, and spin it into a hub without cross threading it. Better eat your Wheaties that morning...:D

Buck Parrish

ultramegabob said:
I bet it would be fun standing a 21' stick of 2" ridged straight up and down, guide it down a hole in a roof, and spin it into a hub without cross threading it. Better eat your Wheaties that morning...:D

Your right, but you probably would not need more then 15 ft.

I just bought one for my grand kid.
I made a fire man pole coming down from his tree house. I only needed 15 ft. But a coupling does not work well in fire man poles either.
That's why I went to the plumbing supply.

But, It's $7.00 a ft.:-?

Buck Parrish

LarryFine said:
Wouldn't it be into a locknut on an in-the-wall panel?

Their is no telling how they did it back then.
In the op's picture you can not tell if it is recessed or not.
It may be going through the eve. Then surface mount on the wall to a hub on a meter as should be. Or not:smile:

TOOL_5150

buckofdurham said:
Their is no telling how they did it back then.
In the op's picture you can not tell if it is recessed or not.
It may be going through the eve. Then surface mount on the wall to a hub on a meter as should be. Or not:smile:

that picture is NOT from the jobsite. Its a pic of something I thought I could possibly do to another mast, because the drop is too low. The site has a newer 200A panel, with a partial flush mount meter combo, 2" mast that is in the wall.

~Matt

Buck Parrish

TOOL_5150 said:
that picture is NOT from the jobsite. Its a pic of something I thought I could possibly do to another mast, because the drop is too low. The site has a newer 200A panel, with a partial flush mount meter combo, 2" mast that is in the wall.

~Matt

Oh thanks, I was just asumming. :)

You can not have a non fused cable recessed in the house any more.

ultramegabob

LarryFine said:
Wouldn't it be into a locknut on an in-the-wall panel?

I was picturing this as a service mast since the poco did the repair job to it, and if its going into a meter socket, it would most likely have a hub. In my area recessed risers are not allowed, but I have seen where stone masons or brickeys come along and recess the service during a remodel.

TOOL_5150

LarryFine said:
I wouldn't bet against you, but maybe something I posted can help. Please let us know what you find.

Did the job today - it went as good as a job like this can go! :D:D Ill be back tomarrow to fill ya in..

~Matt

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A couple of thoughts:

1- Plumbing pipe is not a listed conduit and cannot be legally used
2- RMC has the same threads that plumbers use, type NPT.
3- As Bob mentioned this installation violates 230.54(C) since the point of attachment is above the drop. Without a drip loop water will run down the conductors into the conduit and into the meter.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
TOOL_5150 said:
Did you find that article yet?

~Matt

Here is a POCO detail for "unfused" conductors inside the house.

servicemastdetail.gif
[/IMG]

charlie

acrwc10 said:
Here is a POCO detail for "unfused" conductors inside the house.

servicemastdetail.gif
[/IMG]
This is an NEC violation . . . period. I know they are done in California but California may have the code written in such a way as to permit this installation. We had some things in our Goldbook that was actually telling the electrician to violate the code, I have removed all of those sections. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.