Ask This Old House

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

Any one catch the latest show with the electrician installing pendants in the kitchen? He put two 14/2 nm in a 4" pan box!!! Im suprised the show does not have a review before it goes on.

SEO

Is the pan box he used less than 10 cubic in? If 10 or more they probably are using section 314.16 (B) (1) Exception. :smile:

SEO

al said:
The exception is for the wires from the fixture.
Correct I agree I was just adding that if the box was 10 cu i or more than the exception could apply. I'll have to look at one I'm sure that the pan boxes are less than 10 cu i .:smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
al said:
Dennis, yes this is true but i have never seen a fixture with this marked on it.

Al

Not sure I have seen one either but I must admit I don't look either. I rarely use a pancake box.

frizbeedog

Dennis Alwon said:
If the canopy was marked with cu.in then that would also be included in the equation, not just the box size.

Why must they be marked to use the volume?

I'm not saying I'd want to try the calc. for a domed canopy (partial sphere).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
al said:
Any one catch the latest show with the electrician installing pendants in the kitchen? He put two 14/2 nm in a 4" pan box!!! Im suprised the show does not have a review before it goes on.
I saw it, too, and he used separate pop-ins for each cable. I would have used a J-box in the attic and only one cable per box.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Larry's method of a J-Box in the attic and individual runs to each ceiling box.

I'm not sure, but didn't the electrician also screw the 3-gang plastic box to the stud with drywall screws by just piercing the sidewall of the plastic box? Not properly supported...should have used a smart box designed to be mounted that way.

I cringe watching these guys sometimes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
frizbeedog said:
Why must they be marked to use the volume?

I'm not saying I'd want to try the calc. for a domed canopy (partial sphere).

I agree I could use my brain and there would be no question but art. 314.16(A) does not gives us that option.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
yanici said:
I'm not sure, but didn't the electrician also screw the 3-gang plastic box to the stud with drywall screws by just piercing the sidewall of the plastic box?
Yes, and you could see that it was a nail-on and where the plastic nail brackets had been cut away.

Why didn't he just use a 3-gang old-work box? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.