Rigid See Snake or Milwaukee Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

Was wondering if anyone has compared these 2 and has a preference. The See Snake at the Big Orange is $249, but may have a better screen and has a zoom feature that the ridgid doesnt have. The Milwaukee only comes w/ 3' of hose though. What are the pros and cons that users have noticed and what are some of the things you have used them for outside of the obvious?

JES2727

A few weeeks ago there was a discussion on this forum about the See Snake. I didn't know about the See Snake prior to reading about it here. I went right out and bought it. Haven't used it yet......

ceb58

Snap-On make a real good bore scope. It has a larger screen than seesnake and comes with a video cord to record what you are looking at. The only draw back to the Snap-On is the cable is only about 3ft. The plus is that if the cable get damaged you can snap a new one on.

480sparky

Didn't know the SeeSnake has a zoom function. I have one, and I love it. Paid for itself the first time I used it. I only paid $199 at the "You Can Do It, We Can Help" store. It also has two LEDs next to the camera to illuminate dark areas, and it's adjustable vie a thumbwheel next to the screen.

I haven't purchased one yet, but you can get 36" extensions for it.

Disadvantage: No Auto-Off feature. Dead batteries kinda get expensive.

wptski

There is a new one from Rigid called the microExplorer with more features but I don't think that it's out yet!

Take that back, it's listed here but that still doesn't mean that it's available!:roll:

Last edited:

quogueelectric

I got one to do a reno job. Now I make small holes in ceiling to look for bit placement and pipes and wires. Patch the ceiling with a little spackle mixed with plaster and it hardly looks like I was there. Much safer than drilling blind . It payed for itself in one job.

mdshunk

I have the SeeSnake Micro, and have promoted its use by electricians since the moment it came on the market. I have recently played around with the Milwaukee one at the supply house. I've got to tell you that the differences are so minor, it really doesn't matter. Just get whichever one you can get the best deal on, would be my advice. Either one is way better than none at all.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have the Milwaukee. The guys used it fishing wires in an old house and they were happy. Just lately the screen locked up on it and then went to "bug races" across half the display. We would have to restart it then have the same problem within minutes. Dealer replaced it immediately but we haven't used the replacement as yet.

nolabama

what other tools are supported by the rigids battery, i know the milwaukee has some pretty cool stuff on that M12 line - might be cheaper if you wanted the other stuff on the same platform

480sparky

nolabama said:
what other tools are supported by the rigids battery, i know the milwaukee has some pretty cool stuff on that M12 line - might be cheaper if you wanted the other stuff on the same platform

The SeeSnake uses 4 AA batteries.

SPARKS40

I've used both, and the Ridgid wins hands down for clarity and features, however any time i've needed to see up or down a wall cavity, it's been nothing an inspection mirror and flashlight would'nt fix. A lot cheaper too.

brian john

SPARKS40 said:
I've used both, and the Ridgid wins hands down for clarity and features, however any time i've needed to see up or down a wall cavity, it's been nothing an inspection mirror and flashlight would'nt fix. A lot cheaper too.

But it is HIGH TECH.

We have one and use to look behind CB's, switches etc works much better than a mirror.

480sparky

SPARKS40 said:

I used to do that a lot, too, but an inspection mirror usually is too large for many places, compared to the 3/4" end of a SeeSnake. I've managed to cut a small hole in the drywall next to a plastic nail-on and work the SeeSnake in next to it and still have the plate cover it back up. That doesn't work so good with an inspection mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.