Play the "How"s my number?" game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Sparkle

*Disclaimer - I am green as can be, newly licensed NJ EC done a couple of small jobs thus far but this is my first estimate on a new home. This is a great place to learn, so please feel free to comment and/or criticize at will.

I got the job from a builder who has already given me a decent amount of work, he is building the house and I know I have the job, FWIW I just want to be sure I don't offend or sell myself short. He gave me the plans he drew (no electric) and I basically drew the electric to code as well as 4 cans in the liv. room and 2 pendants over the kitchen island (he asked for those).

Specs:

2200 Sq ft. Full Basement, Upper middle class central Jersey shore area. Builder pays permits & supplying all fixtures except cans, bath fan/lt's, and keyless.

40 14awg Recept
16 20awg Recept
3 GFI
3 WP GFI
22 S1
12 S3
1 S4
7 Ceiling Lt.
5 Ceiling Fans
2 outside Lt
4 Smokes
3 Combo
3 Bath Fan/Lt
7 Keyless
1 Disco
5 Cable
5 Phone
1 chandelier
3 Vanity
1 Furnace
1 A/C condenser
4 Recessed
200A MB service in basement below meter

I came up with $13,500.00, this number feels high to me....is that because it is? :grin::confused: Is that because I worked for a sq/ft. price estimating lowballer for a few years prior to getting my seal?:grin: I have no shame, I told you I was green.:confused:

Last edited:

Mr.Sparkle

$7600, oh my....NJ cost of living difference I guess? Last week I looked at a 1300 Sq. ft. ranch w/ basement and the owner told me I was the second EC he was getting a price from because he thought the first EC was too high, I walked the house and he gave me 4 pages of "specifics" (very specific specifical specified specifications, as in "a pain in the ass finish") on top of the general layout. He asked me for a roundabout number I said upwards of $10K, maybe a mistake on my part but my spider sense told me this job would be a PITA, he told me the other EC said $5500. I said good luck with that.

Last edited:

Mr.Sparkle

No real fancy stuff, builder told me it's for a single mother of three, aside from basic HR's nothing special besides A/C condenser, dishwasher, refrigerator, laundry and micro HR's all other appliances are assumed gas, I estimated solely off the print to code and what he told me, everything else will be extra.

Last edited:

CopperTone

based on what you wrote i came up with 13,960.00 I added for a permit too. I seem to be high lately in my area though - i think some guys in my area love to eat hot dogs.

You didn't include any kitchen appliances, dish/disposal, ref., stove, hood, microwave, or doorbells. 2008 code? arc fault breakers - I didn't include that in my price either.

Get it all in writing of what is included in the price - you don't want to be told - "that was included in the price wasn't it? Well, I'm not paying extra for that now. " after you rough it and are looking for a progress payment.

Last edited:

donselectric

its funny i did an estimate for a shed 130ft run
60a pnl all copper, bench outlets and wall outlets,
8ft 2tube strip. 2 sets of floods switched in houes and shed
plus he wants to be able to turn one set off while hes out there.
phone and cable.
i told him 2g off the top of my head. i think he was in shock
i went home called for current prices and got it down to 1600
seeing hes somewhat a friend....
well i haven't heard from him so i guess i was high....:roll:

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
central illinos area, your price would put us out of business/ were all looking for work. 8/ $10,000 on that size home . we done a whole sub-division for one contractor. 1300sf duplexes for $ 4600 per side. Quanity deal we give plus we do a couple hundred apt. unit blds. for same builder. Ron

480sparky

I'm not too far from your number.

If you price your work to make money, then you're pricing it right. If your pricing your work to get the job, you'll be working for someone else in 6 months.

Mr.Sparkle said:
$....., he told me the other EC said $5500. I said good luck with that.

Sign a contract with him before he finds out he's losing money. Hopefully, he'll be able to finish the job before he files bankrupcy, and let's not discuss any warranty issues....

charlie

Mr.Sparkle said:
. . . builder told me it's for a single mother of three . . .
Never let the personal circumstances influence your bid. Do it the same every time and don't look back. You will build a reputation for being fair and not playing favorites. Of course, there exceptions, I would cut mom a deal. :wink: :)

Mr.Sparkle

480sparky said:
I'm not too far from your number.

If you price your work to make money, then you're pricing it right. If your pricing your work to get the job, you'll be working for someone else in 6 months.

As new as I am to the EC game I truly take pride in my work and have no desire to join the dark side, as I mentioned earlier I worked for an EC for over 5 years who's sole discretion was to price work to get jobs, and that was when there was work falling out of the sky. He had 3 vans, 3 mechanics and 3 apprentices full time, he is now down to 1 Van, 1 mechanic & 1 apprentice, he is miserable, in massive debt to supply houses, has not payed his taxes in over a year (public record), still owes me money & is basically flying by the seat of his pants, the employees that are left are miserable & want to leave the company asap. I think my time there taught me how not to run a company....I hope.

Mr.Sparkle

charlie said:
Never let the personal circumstances influence your bid. Do it the same every time and don't look back. You will build a reputation for being fair and not playing favorites. Of course, there exceptions, I would cut mom a deal. :wink: :)

That did not influence my price (learned that here ;) ) I was just using the reference to explain that to my knowledge there will not be any ornate crap.

Riograndeelectric

ronball said:
central illinos area, your price would put us out of business/ were all looking for work. 8/ $10,000 on that size home . we done a whole sub-division for one contractor. 1300sf duplexes for $ 4600 per side. Quanity deal we give plus we do a couple hundred apt. unit blds. for same builder. Ron

so are you in the Chicago area and have to pipe all Houses?
I seem to remember that the chicago area disallowed the use of Romex in Residential settings.
I assume that if you have to use EMT that you guys all now the short cuts and can wire a house in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.