Buried LB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it acceptable to come out of the meter channel with conduit into an LB that will be buried below the final grade by a few inches?
I could have access to it in less then a minute with a shovel if ever need be.
I want to go through the rim joist and this is the rare time that the rim joist is below grade.
A sweep would not do as neat of a job.

benaround

johnny,

Take a look at 314.15, it would have to be 'listed' for such use, but moreso

needs to be accessible, but I think you already knew that. You could use a

handhole.

alfiesauce

no no no...
don't enter the house below grade. that's not a good idea at all.
If you have to, then dig a big hole underneath of the sweep and fill it full of gravel for drainage so you don't get water in the basement.

Check out 344.10 b-d:roll: If going below grade ive used duct seal , along with the rock for drainage.

Last edited:

benaround

sparky_james said:
Check out 344.10 b-d:roll: If going below grade ive used duct seal , along with the rock for drainage.

James, An LB below grade would not be" judged suitible for the conditions",

no more than it would be if in concrete. IMO, 344.10 does not support this

installation.

ceknight

johnny watt said:
....I want to go through the rim joist and this is the rare time that the rim joist is below grade....

A below-grade rim joist in this climate? It's already at risk enough, penetrating it won't help things a bit.

You're missing a great opportunity to sell them either a house-lifting or a lawn-lowering. :)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
don_resqcapt19 said:
The make these up to 2.5", but you would never get service conductors around one.

$89.00 for a elbow that would be near impossible to use, ouch.

alfiesauce

don_resqcapt19 said:
The make these up to 2.5", but you would never get service conductors around one.

Make sure you set up the tugger on something solid and don't tear the house down while pulling it through that beast.

wbalsam1

johnny watt said:
Is it acceptable to come out of the meter channel with conduit into an LB that will be buried below the final grade by a few inches?
I could have access to it in less then a minute with a shovel if ever need be.
I want to go through the rim joist and this is the rare time that the rim joist is below grade.
A sweep would not do as neat of a job.[/quote]

Not in my neck of the woods. Frost goes 6 feet deep here like nothing and Murphy's Law dictates that the only time you'll ever need to access this buried LB will be at 3:00 a.m. on February 14th, 35 below zero. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.