You make the call 10-25-08

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Homeowner (1st problem) runs a 4 wire feeder underground from the main panel in his basement to a small sub-panel in his newly built shed for his Harley.

When he attaches to his sub-panel, he can't figure out what to do with the bare wire so he cuts it off at the point of entry into the sub. (ha ha ha) Now he has equip gnds and neutrals tied together.

Neighbor rats him out and he is inspected.

As the electrician, what do you think you need to do to come out and fix the problem that he has created?

NEC 2005 applies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
make sure sub-panel is bonded and install a ground rod at the structure. attach rod to neutral bar.

220/221

Nice neighbor

Probably tired of listening to that damn Harley. Get a muffler dammit :mad:

attach rod to neutral bar.

Wouldn't that defeat the isolated grounding?

You don't need the 4th wire (equip. grd.) in 05 for a detached shed.

Is a shed different than a garage or other structure?:confused: Here, we call a shed for a vehicle a garage.

I'm thinking I'd lower the panel to get some ground wire and seperate the neutrals/grounds and add a rod or two.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
220/221 said:
Wouldn't that defeat the isolated grounding?

OP didn't say anything about isolated grounds. But on a detached structure you can run a 3-wire feeder and install a ground rod; in that case you would bond the grounds and neutrals at the sub-panel.

220/221

I can't keep this crap straight.

On a detached structure, no EGC to a panel is necessary?

Hmmmm.....I wonder what the logic is there? You have the same chance of an open neutral diverting voltage thru the EGC as you would in an attached structure.........right?

ceb58

220/221 said:
I can't keep this crap straight.

On a detached structure, no EGC to a panel is necessary?

Hmmmm.....I wonder what the logic is there? You have the same chance of an open neutral diverting voltage thru the EGC as you would in an attached structure.........right?

05 you could run three wire, drive rod and bond neutral. 08 changed all that four wire,drive rod and separate neutral-ground.

As the electrician, what do you think you need to do to come out and fix the problem that he has created?

Charge the crap out of him:D

e57

220/221 said:
Probably tired of listening to that damn Harley. Get a muffler dammit :mad:
They are sold with them - a dealer I lived near in MA as a kid would have customers push the bike out the door - because it could not be sold that way - then back in to modify the bike and de-tune it for the "harley' noise polution. They test ride it and it sounds like a electraglide cop-cycle that can sneak up to you at 100 miles an hour on the freeway - comes back out back-firing at 100db.

dcspector

I guess if one wants to be anal one could have him re pull the feeder. 250.32(B)(2) Grounded Conductor:(1) Where an EGC is not run with the supply to the building or structure.......well it was ran before they cut it off......:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.