Lighting in a gymnasuim......

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does the high bay lighting have to have some kind of protection on them due to physical damage???

Its definately a good idea. I think it may be required for HID since the lamps get hot. Or maybe its because the outter lamp envelope is necessary to block the UV rays.

Not sure if its required for fluorescent. I've seen fluorescent fixtures in gyms that don't appear to have any protection. However, there are also sleeves that cover the lamps and contain them when they break.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Does the high bay lighting have to have some kind of protection on them due to physical damage???

410.10(E)
(E) Luminaires in Indoor Sports, Mixed-Use, and All-Purpose Facilities.
Luminaires subject to physical damage, using a mercury vapor or metal halide lamp, installed in playing and spectator seating areas of indoor sports, mixed-use, or all-purpose facilities shall be of the type that protects the lamp with a glass or plastic lens. Such luminaires shall be permitted to have an additional guard.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

410.10(E)
(E) Luminaires in Indoor Sports, Mixed-Use, and All-Purpose Facilities.
Luminaires subject to physical damage, using a mercury vapor or metal halide lamp, installed in playing and spectator seating areas of indoor sports, mixed-use, or all-purpose facilities shall be of the type that protects the lamp with a glass or plastic lens. Such luminaires shall be permitted to have an additional guard.

I think the NEC will have to catch up with the times here. All the newer school gyms and the like are moving on to T5/HO fixtures. Of course common sense would dictate gaurding but it seems it is not specificaly required for a flourescent fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.