Thread: Sizing Multi-Family Service

Sizing Multi-Family Service

I'm having a new electrical service installed on a 6-family house with gas heat, gas hot water and gas stoves. Currently (pun intended) it's being served by 6 60-amp services with no problem. I'm being forced to upgrade the service for basement lighting and very, very limited exterior lighting. I have NO intention of installing electric ranges ever. Does the electrical code REQUIRE that I size the new service to provide for electric stoves even if I don't have them? If not, could you show me the part of the code that applies?

Second question - Am I required to provide exterior lighting from the parking area to the stairways (20-30 ft.)?

My local inspector has been BRUTAL in interpreting everything as severely as possible, and my only defense is a code citation.

Thanks in advance!

Arrow

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
    • Electricians
    • Engineers
    • Inspectors
    • Instructors
    • Other electrically related individuals
    * This NECĀ® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

As long as your just looking for code help we can help you, but no DIY advice will be given.

....................... won't even bid work for them.

Moderator Edit, Jim keep it professional or don't bother posting.
    Last edited by iwire; 08-23-08 at 06:39 AM.

Am I missing something here? I'm NOT going to put in the service myself.

I AM asking a code-related question.....whether or not the code requires sizing for electric stoves when none exist. I've been beaten up by an unscrupulous inspector for 19 months, with him demanding things that are far beyond the intent of the code.

If he's pressing for things that far exceed the code requirements, and thus will cost me much more $$, shouldn't I be able to ask you? Apparently one poster was offended and his post got edited. The gist of it was that he wouldn't even bid on the job. Why not?? How can I comply if, as soon as the situation becomes clear, electricians "run for the hills"?

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks.......a lot

From what I gather, all you need to do is add a house panel, and leave the six units alone.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

with a 7'th meter, I now need a house disconnect. This means relocating meters from basement as well. My inspector is Relentless in upping permit fees.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksalot
    I'm NOT going to put in the service myself.
    Then we can help you. :smile:

I've been beaten up by an unscrupulous inspector for 19 months, with him demanding things that are far beyond the intent of the code.
    I don't deny that is possible, but right now it's hearsay. What exactly is the inspector demanding that is "far above the intent of the code?" We need exact details to tell you what is and what is not within bounds of the NEC.

with a 7'th meter, I now need a house disconnect.
    Yes, the NEC requires this. By "house disconnect" I assume that you mean a main disconnect. This is unavoidable.

This means relocating meters from basement as well.

This is quite likely a poco requirement. Are you a CL&P or UI customer? Also unavoidable. Well, you can avoid it, and the poco can deny you service too.

I'm being forced to upgrade the service for basement lighting and very, very limited exterior lighting.
    You mean, you are "forced" into being code compliant? The NEC does not allow these loads to be served by tenant meters.
    Last edited by peter d; 08-23-08 at 11:50 AM.

Sounds like you need a 7th meter and disconnect. That 7th disconnect is going to trigger requirements for one big disconnect ahead of the whole works. With me so far? Installing that big disconnect is going to dictate some changes in the present gutter arrangement. These changes probably mean you're going to have to move your metering equipment outdoors to comply with the current PoCo rules, lest they won't supply power to you upon reconnect. The inspector seems to be wanting to enforce this PoCo requirement, whether out of spite or maybe he's trying to give you a friendly head's up to save you heartache.