Just because there is no place else to put it

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A couple of weeks ago I went to work on a test stand at a customer's site. they had leased it out to a third party and the third party needed some help getting it moving along.

When I walked into the building where the test stand is located, I noticed a portapotty sitting in the building. I didn't think much about, although it seemed like an odd place to put a portapotty.

When I asked about it, I was told the PM for the third party was female and there were no female facilities in the building, so they had brought in the portapotty for her. Sure enough, I later met their PM and she was indeed female.

I was back up there last week and saw one of the techs using the portapotty. I asked him about it, and he said the PM had been laid off and he did not feel like walking the 100 yards or so to the men's room (which is on a mezzanine level).

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Hey! Don't drink anymore than you can sweat out, understand? We didn't bid this for your convienence, this here defines a hard money job! If you don't, we'll arrange to place you with the former PM! ARE WE CLEAR??? [/sarc]

wireguru

they have the thing inside the building?? i would think there would be some sort of problem with venting and oders and such.....

Last edited:

480sparky

So we now know there's a tech in the building that's lazy? I don't get it.
PENA.gif

drbond24

they have the thing inside the building?? i would think there would be some sort of problem with venting and oders and such.....

Amen to that. At the power plant where I now am employed, there are literally a few thousand contractors installing a scrubber system among other things. There are designated floors in the boiler building (26 floors high) where there are clusters of porta-johns. The smell anywhere near them is quite unpleasant. I can't even imagine how bad it would be in the heat of the summer. Yuck.

ultramegabob

I have worked on jobs in factories where contractors were not allowed to use the facilities, so they had port-a-pots inside, I understand why they didnt allow the contractors to use thier bathrooms, the port-o-pots were too nasty to describe. I left the building and went to a gas station or fast food joint when necessary. It is unbelievable that some grown men have no personal hygiene skills, I would hate to see thier homes....:mad:

iwire

Staff member
We better get to a point here quickly as we are not going to try to out due each other with Potta potty tails here. :smile:

ultramegabob

the building I was working in was a large factory with high ceilings, and they were located far enough away from where we were working that I dont remember fumes or odor being a real issue.

The worst I ever encountere was working on a high rise for the san jose civic center. The general had placed one of the porta-jons, the one where the urinal is on the backside with the open ceiling. It was placed in the center of the 15'th floor and exterrior windows were already installed. I had to run firealrm cables over the thing and do make up for the smokes above it. Needless to say it was a very odorful experience. I would be P.O.ed to be the occupants of that section of the building.

Last edited by a moderator:

norcal

how long is the job - if the porta potie is inside would that make it a restroom and fall under the NEC if so someone better address this:D

A bathroom is defined in art. 100 as "An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet.a tub,or a shower." (NEC 2005)
A outhouse indoors would not quite fit the definition of a bathroom.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.