70 Amp GFCI Spa Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loffgren

Anyone here know where to find a 2 pole 240 volt 70amp gfci circuit breaker. At this point i will take any brand...Prefer CH.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Don't know where you are located, but I got mine at City Electric and Plumbing Wholesale, Any CH distributor should be able to get it, If you don't mind paying a premium, a lot of spa dealers also keep them.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
According to the Eaton on-line catalog, 60a is as high as they go.

A search for other brands was unfruitful.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Mine is a Eaton BR70 ground fault, I know Siemens also makes a 70 amp ground fault breaker, don't know if Square D does. Jacuzzi brand spas can be programmed to take a smaller breaker if needed by locking out different pumps while the heater is running.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
60 is the largest I have ever seen.
The Sundance brand of Spas will allow the heater and the blowers to be either on at the same time or not. If not, then 50 will do, if yes both on then you need 60.

What is going on in that spa with 70 amps?? I guess the wave generator is running??

hillbilly1

Occupation
I was thinking mine was a 70, but I just went out and looked, and it is a 60. The largest the big box carries is a 50, It is also a CH not a BR style, sorry for the mis-info!

GUNNING

100 amp spa

100 amp spa

Years ago I was asked to wire a spa with a 95 amp demand. It was a brand name manufactured unit. Ran into the huh? factor and dropped the job. ( the dumb founded look on the supply house minions is a dead givaway ) The code book and the manufacturers were out of sink. Meaning the rules were changing too fast for the existing products that were out there. Its amazing what some people will pay to blow bubbles up there bums. Can you split up the load? Move some of the motors and heaters on sepperate circuits? Or have you actually laid eyes on the name plate with actual amps and voltages? DIrections with various options?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Anyone here know where to find a 2 pole 240 volt 70amp gfci circuit breaker. At this point i will take any brand...Prefer CH.

i believe siemens makes a 2p. 70a. gfci, but it's a screw type breaker....
and the 2p. 60a. siemens gfci ran me about $120. pricey.

try this guy... he ships nationwide, is in so calif. and speaks spotty
english, but he has gotten stuff for me overnight that nobody else
could..... i needed a 42 circuit semens screw type 240 vac 1 ph.
panel in a 3r enclosure, with a list of breakers inside, it took him
4 hours till i had it in my hands.....

Anaheim Circuit Breakers
714 630 5503
1515 n. kramer
anaheim, ca 92806
the guys name is Efram

hope that helps....

randy

wireguru

this is probably a bad suggestion, but theres that leviton GFI (model 8895) that has a current transformer you pass the conductors through, and it uses an external contactor to disconnect the power. That would probably cost close to $200 for the contactor and gfi, plus a box to put it in..... like i said -bad idea

Loffgren

re

re

The spa is drawing 63 amps, the HO stated the spa guy told him he may need a 70amp breaker when he purchased it. Dont know HO didnt buy it, if there is such a thing. I belive HO bought it at a home garden show, i did not reconginze the manufacture. I will keep looking, if i find one i will post info.I thought i was going to get smart *** answers from you guys :), thanks for trying to help!

Loffgren

re

re

63 measured, good idea about splitting up the circuit. I thought about a smaller wattage heating element, only thing about splitting it up is if it is controlled through circuit board. Laughing, i may be able to isolate the stereo portion...

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
63 measured, good idea about splitting up the circuit. I thought about a smaller wattage heating element, only thing about splitting it up is if it is controlled through circuit board. Laughing, i may be able to isolate the stereo portion...

If you can't find a breaker, I'd call the spa manufacturer. Surely, they'll know who makes a breaker that'll handle their spa, I can't see them designing a spa you couldn't get a breaker for. Or, they might be able to tell you how to split the load safely.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I would split the load out with motors on one feed, with the heaters on another. The motors are probally controlled through printed circuit board relays, but from the sounds of it, it has very high kw heaters and they may be on a contactor. Worst case scenario would be feed the coil of an appropriate sized contactor with the output normally going to the heater, with the extra feed going through the contactor to power the heating element(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.