What to look for from Water Heater panel install

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveWSMD

I have a cabin in California mountains and it is difficult to get any contractors up there. I have to do most work as a owner/builder. I have an electrician coming up to setup the electrical for a water heater. I've never had an electric water heater in the cabin. He is going to add a 30 amp DP in my panel and run outside the house and into the small basement where the water heater will be located to a junction box. He didn't mention what type of conduit he will use, metal or plastic and if he will be installing a swtich on the box next to the water heater. What do I need to make sure he does so when the inspector comes out, I'm good? Any direction would be appreciated.

480sparky

If you're hiring an electrician, and the electrician is truly a professional, then the wiring method and inspection (and any changes needed to pass inspection) are his/her problems, not yours.

If it's not done right and get red-tagged, then your Sparky isn't doing something right. Let them pay for a reinspect and maybe learn something.

If you have the same problems with him/her on other jobs, look for another electrician.

DaveWSMD

short of kidnapping

short of kidnapping

I approach issues like this in the city that way...but I'm at the mercy of who I can find 2 hours outside of town in the wilderness. Very difficult to get anyone to even show up to work. If I know what to expect from him, it would save me the Red Tag go around.

480sparky

The NEC doesn't specify any particular method required to get power to a water heater. Any method is 'legal'.

Local codes, however, may dictate otherwise. Without knowing which method your electician is planning on using, and any local Code changes that my be in place, it's hard for us forum members who are scattered across the country to be able to give an honest answer to your question.

charlie

. . . He didn't mention what type of conduit he will use, metal or plastic and if he will be installing a switch on the box next to the water heater. . .
Unless you specify the wiring method, he may use SE cable, bury USE or UF cable, the list goes on.

As 480Sparky says, "Local codes, however, may dictate otherwise." and it is up to the electrician that you choose to do it correctly and in accordance with the local codes. Ask around to get some references before nailing this down . . . cheap is not always cheap and the AHJ (if there is one) can't always find everything. :smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I approach issues like this in the city that way...but I'm at the mercy of who I can find 2 hours outside of town in the wilderness.
Legally speaking, the same rules apply. That's why we have inspections.

You should feel no more "at his mercy" than at anybody else's.

wbalsam1

I think 422.13 applies, making it's load a continuous load meaning that at 422.10(A) it will be figured at 125%. It should also have a disconnect within sight of it as prescribed at 422.31(B). The switch or circuit breaker used as this disconnect should be of the indicating type as per 422.35. (more than likely, your water heater will conform with 422.47).

Brady Electric

What to look for from Water Heater panel install

I really like all the answers given here.
Looks like to me that he wants advice as how to do it himself.
That's why the advice given was really thought out.
Salute to all.
Semper Fi Buddy
P.S. If I'm wrong about DIY I apologise.

c2500

As a side note, make sure the water heater is installed with all the necessary mounting hardware. The IRC has specifics, and local code will also, protecting it in the event of an earthquake.

c2500

e57

The AHJ may have some whacked out interpetations - and while the AHJ can and very well could be writing his own book, I'm sure many of us have been there before. So pinning blame on the EC up front when beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and the 'holder' being the inspector in this case and all other cases doesn't mean they are right, just that they are in charge of interpetation of what they think the code says - and they have been known to be wrong. JMSO

Status
Not open for further replies.