Dual Male Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1302

My common sense tells me that you can not have 2 male plugs on a circuit that is tied to the same buss. I am trying to find a refference in the NEC that states that you can not install 2 male plugs onto a load bank. We have a shop here that has a load bank with 2 male plugs installed on them to run 2 different generators. They from time to time run only one generator, therefore leaving the other plug HOT and exposed since it is a male. Common sense tells me that is a no-no but I need concrete refference that I can use. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

charlie

Unfortunately, this is fairly common. It is normally done by a DIY but I have known electricians do it as well to hook up a generator. Since the HO already has electric service, it is easy to just do the work and walk away without any inspection. Therefore, a double male cord is used and no transfer switch is installed. :smile:

wireguru

Unfortunately, this is fairly common. It is normally done by a DIY but I have known electricians do it as well to hook up a generator. Since the HO already has electric service, it is easy to just do the work and walk away without any inspection. Therefore, a double male cord is used and no transfer switch is installed. :smile:

people call those suicide cords, but i call them homicide cords since you are more likely to kill a lineman with it before yourself

wasasparky

We have a shop here that has a load bank with 2 male plugs installed on them to run 2 different generators.

What is the setup? I can't imagine load banking two generators at once unless there was a way to subdivide the load bank... In which case you would not have an issue...

Are these Cam-Lok's for parallel cables to one generator?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Therefore, a double male cord is used and no transfer switch is installed. :smile:
That really is two separate issues.

The double-male-ended cords I see are usually made because it's easier to find or make a female receptacle (especially with a WP cover) than it is to find the proper type of inlet.

The use of a transfer switch is absolutely mandantory regardless of the input connection type.

Status
Not open for further replies.