Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex d Zone 1 motor in US

Question Ex d Zone 1 motor in US

I have a customer that has purchasesd a Flameproof Zone 1 Ex d motor to be used in a class 1 div 1 area on a piece of waste water treatment equipment.
    the end user is stating to use a IEC motor in an 1 D 1 area it must be a zone 0 rated motor per NEC 505.9. Q1 is this the correct code # to apply to this hazardous area applcation? Q 2 is their any US certified body UL or FM to certify this motor to be used in the 1 D 1 area. (side note) Electric Motors are not manufactured to operate in a Zone 0 class area.

Where to start?

The motor as described simply isn’t recognized for use in any location classified as Class I, Division 1 under Articles 500 and 501. It may be possibly be suitable for a “Zone” classified location (Article 505) with appropriate Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) certification with an “AEx” marking. See Sections 505.9(A)(1) and (C)(2). Of course the location must actually be classified under Zones. Remember, the classification schemes, Division and Zone, are not permitted to be used in the same location. See Section 505.7(B).

Under Section 505.9(A)(3) the motor in a “Zone” location may be found suitable if the Authority Having Jurisdiction believes there is acceptable evidence such as a manufacturer's self-evaluation or an owner's engineering judgment. I wouldn’t count on it.

It is unlikely that a NRTL would certify the motor for Division use since the test standards for Divisions and Zones are sufficiently different.
    Last edited by rbalex; 09-12-08 at 04:58 PM.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think the NEC says, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what it means." (Corollary to Charlie's Rule)

Texas by the Gulf, geat crab, great shrimp
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalex
    Where to start?

The motor as described simply isn’t recognized for use in any location classified as Class I, Division 1 under Articles 500 and 501. It may be possibly be suitable for a “Zone” classified location (Article 505) with appropriate Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) certification with an “AEx” marking. See Sections 505.9(A)(1) and (C)(2). Of course the location must actually be classified under Zones. Remember, the classification schemes, Division and Zone, are not permitted to be used in the same location. See Section 505.7(B).

Under Section 505.9(A)(3) the motor in a “Zone” location may be found suitable if the Authority Having Jurisdiction believes there is acceptable evidence such as a manufacturer's self-evaluation or an owner's engineering judgment. I wouldn’t count on it.

It is unlikely that a NRTL would certify the motor for Division use since the test standards for Divisions and Zones are sufficiently different.
    Even though it would perform fine.....

Thumbs down

Never, ever trust a sales rep that speaks of the "equivalency" of EEx and AEx or XP.

The best you could possibly do (if the AHJ allows) is use the EEx in a Division 2 location by declaring it a general purpose motor and using the T code to meet the temperature requirements of 501.125(B).

Are you trying to demonstrate your tagline?
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think the NEC says, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what it means." (Corollary to Charlie's Rule)

you could always pressurize it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra
    you could always pressurize it.
    That will not assure that the surface temperature will not exceed the AIT.

Realistically, I agree with you and thought of the same thing, but not according to the Book!

Quote Originally Posted by weressl
    That will not assure that the surface temperature will not exceed the AIT.

Realistically, I agree with you and thought of the same thing, but not according to the Book!
    one would think a motor classified for use in zone 1 would have a maximum surface temperature listed.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra
    one would think a motor classified for use in zone 1 would have a maximum surface temperature listed.
    Absolutely, but you can't take that into account. The test has no validity in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by weressl
    Absolutely, but you can't take that into account. The test has no validity in the US.
    are motors used in classified areas required to be listed these days?
    Bob