More Friday Pictures - Splices behind the walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

These were found in an apartment complex built about 10 years ago. Unrelated to these illegal splices behind the walls, the center core and adjacent units burned. It was arson.

I can't figure out why the contractor did what he did. Any ideas?

We found them in four units so we are requiring either they remove the gyp boards in the suspicious areas or use a remote camera through holes in the walls to find what we suspect are more just like these. The rest of the complex wasn't too bad. All #12 copper, #2 unit feeders, etc.

RC

480sparky

Maybe the boxes were lowered at some point, so the splices were introduced to 'extend' the NM. Then they got moved back up. Looks like the cables are simply extended, not pigtailed.

480sparky

Ladies and gentlemen, what I think we have here is photographic evidence of the origin of the phrase "Thinking outside the box". :D

Brady Electric

Splices behind the walls

Splices behind the walls

Ladies and gentlemen, what I think we have here is photographic evidence of the origin of the phrase "Thinking outside the box". :D

Like your answer.
I don't see much of this kind of work anymore, we as electricians must be getting better.
Thanks for the pictures.
Semper Fi Buddy

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I can't figure out why the contractor did what he did. Any ideas?

We found them in four units so we are requiring either they remove the gyp boards in the suspicious areas or use a remote camera through holes in the walls to find what we suspect are more just like these.

RC

They demo'd a project and had the boxes with devices, OR a class at a tech school wired boxes for training and the completed boxes were sold. Looks like more work and money than doing it correctly.

icesoft

I've seen this guy's work before.... (Found in a house I just bought, also saw two more similar splices in the attic.)

S_DSCN0738.JPG

480sparky

I've seen this guy's work before.... (Found in a house I just bought, also saw two more similar splices in the attic.)

He's a pretty busy guy. Opened his own business, and expanded so much he went to franchising. "Buried Splice Electric", I recall is the name.

He's distantly related to that French road builer, DeTour. :D

Splices behind the walls

Splices behind the walls

The professionals at HOME ***** said you should use tape on all wire nuts. They know everything because they are professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.