Door switch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger3829

Looking for suggestions....

Customer wants me to install an outlet inside a cabinet in their bathroom so they can keep the hair dryer, hair curler, etc. plugged in and out of sight. Great idea......

The question/problem is that they don't want to take responsibilty for being responsible enough to remember to ALWAYS turn them off. So............... They would like me to install a switch that turns off the power to the outlet when the spring loaded door is closed.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use?

I was thinking of using a standard door switch and having the carpenter build around it??:confused:

cschmid

use a proxy switch mounted on the cabinet and when the door is open the switch closes and the outlet comes on..you will have to use a relay to control the outlet..that is just one suggestion..

cschmid

nice bob but I did not read whether there was a timer on it..problem with that is when they open door to let curling iron warm up unless they are around it moving, it would not stay on an would not heat the curling Iron..If they own a hair dryer they own a curling iron or other hair manipulator device..

iwire

Staff member
nice bob but I did not read whether there was a timer on it..problem with that is when they open door to let curling iron warm up unless they are around it moving, it would not stay on an would not heat the curling Iron..If they own a hair dryer they own a curling iron or other hair manipulator device..

The time is adjustable on the sensor.

Digital time delay adjustable from 15 seconds to
30 minutes

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Looking for suggestions....

Customer wants me to install an outlet inside a cabinet in their bathroom so they can keep the hair dryer, hair curler, etc. plugged in and out of sight. Great idea......

The question/problem is that they don't want to take responsibilty for being responsible enough to remember to ALWAYS turn them off. So............... They would like me to install a switch that turns off the power to the outlet when the spring loaded door is closed.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use?

I was thinking of using a standard door switch and having the carpenter build around it??:confused:

industrial grade limit switch... make sure the contacts are rated for the
connected load.....

cheap ones are available at automationdirect.com

good ones are available at allen bradley, for a small fortune....

again, check the ampacity of the contacts.... pilot duty isn't gonna work.
you need 20 amp. contacts.

randy

mdshunk

RIB24P.jpg
Relay in a box, with DPDT 20 amp contacts, $30.00

*plus*

060-209_s.jpg
Alarm contact, $2.50

Use several magnets in a row if you're worried about the drawer being partially ajar and keeping the receptacle hot.

Total control package, $32.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.