90 PVC Elbow causes service to flunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Perhaps he wanted to see it drilled directly through the foundation wall? That would kind of make the statement make sense. Without the 90, it would have gone straight into the panel, right?

I think this young buck has hit the nail on the head with why you failed. I'd put money on it. Thats the only reason I can see.

donselec

I think this young buck has hit the nail on the head with why you failed. I'd put money on it. Thats the only reason I can see.

Well it would still have to go in and down no matter how you did it. I haven't been able to talk to the inspector yet but when I do I'll ask him for a code ref, and update you with what I found. Too long of a run is about the only thing that would make sense to me, but for crying out loud, a meter feeding straight down into a basement panel, too long a run? What's the world coming to. Will let you know.

Did you use SEU cable throught the conduit? That's only allowed for protection from physical damage. If it's SEU, then the ouside is OK but the 90 on down should be removed or just pull individual conductors through the conduit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hi Don,

The LB into the structure may be okay, but using a PVC 90 Elbow instead of a full sweep may be too tight for the minimum bending radius of the conductor. The exterior Sch 80 into the building (even the lateral) wouldn't be a violation unless local code would require RMC or equal. Sure would like to know what the EI stated. rbj

I would think the LB would require a tighter bend than a factory 90?. Perhaps this is the violation if cable, rather than individual conductors, was pulled thru the conduit.

e57

I read that this is an area you don't work in normally - it may even be a POCO issue that the inspector is actually saving you time on. For instance, if you hopped on a plane and did a service here and flew out of town and left the HO to meet the inspector you might be getting a serious nasty-gram from that customer. The POCO here will not allow conductors in certain situations, 1.) SEC's in all cases in anything less than RMC (IMC technically not allowed but never enforced), and 2.) on conductors that they would pull, never allowed in an LB and never allowed in anything less than a 2' sweep.

That said, most inspectors here would not even speak to an HO unless they pulled the permit, and would not have given them one for a service in the 1st place.

As you are not aware of what the issue with the inspector was - a wild guess or reach for straws at what the hit might be with the inspector might be the sheet-rock screws after the rock goes up and concealing that plastic 90 in the wall. Or not arranged to drain. (Only thing I can think of being a solid hit.) Or some local code....

Status
Not open for further replies.