GFCI required around non-dwelling sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIEngineer

Hello All,

I am having trouble finding the code reference that may require a GFCI receptacle within arms reach of a sink in a photo-developing lab.

I have scoured 210.8(B) and it appears as if GFCI protection is not required.

Thank you,

raider1

Staff member
What year code are you on?

The 2008 NEC has added a new requirement to 210.8(B)

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:
(5) Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink.

Exception No 1 to (5): In industrial laboratories, receptacles used to supply equipment where removal of power would introduce a greater hazard shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.
Exception No 2 to (5): For receptacles located in patient care areas of health care facilities other than those covered under 210.8(B)(1), GFCI protection shall not be required.

Chris

MIEngineer

Thank you Raider,

We are currently still under 2005 NEC. Your information leads me to believe there is no requirement until MI adopts the '08, correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello All,

I am having trouble finding the code reference that may require a GFCI receptacle within arms reach of a sink in a photo-developing lab.

I have scoured 210.8(B) and it appears as if GFCI protection is not required.

Thank you,

I would still want one there. Any reason you don't want to install one?

MIEngineer

No reason I wouldn't want one there. This is a question I saw on an interview questionnare that a company uses. It includes a list of answers for non-electrically knowledgeable folks to evaluate a candidate. I wanted to be sure in case an electrician says the answer is 'No' that it is not marked as incorrect.

Kind of a bogus question since 'Yes' is also be an accepted answer.

raider1

Staff member
Thank you Raider,

We are currently still under 2005 NEC. Your information leads me to believe there is no requirement until MI adopts the '08, correct?

Correct, there is no 2005 NEC requirement to GFCI protect a receptacle within arms length of a photo developing sink in a non-dwelling unit.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.