Range circuit (sorry.... long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRI

Ok heres the deal......wiring a new house, homeowner says he has purchased a used Viking oven/range (gas 6 burner cooktop/electric oven). During rough in I asked the HO what the electrical requirements were of the oven. He makes a call and tells me it draws 25 amps. So I take his word (mistake) and pull 10/3 to the location.
The oven shows up yesterday, it has a sticker on the back showing btu's and other gas info, no electrical except for "Total 3250w." and it has a 3 prong 30a cord connected to it (10-30P). I copy down the model number and look it up today and the specifications say "....connectwith a locally supplied 3 wire cord rated 40amps. Cord must be range approved" Under that it reads "Max amp Usage 240V.-28.5amps"
Do I have to use a 40 amp cord and plug? If so now I have to pull #8? I dont think I can put a 40a plug on 10/3 nm even though it is protected by a 2p30a cb. Or shoulkd I just use the 30a. cord that came on it? I dont like that idea.....

raider1

Staff member
You can put a 40 amp receptacle on a 30 amp circuit provided that this is the only receptacle on the circuit. 210.21(B)(1) requires that a single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit be rated not less than the branch circuit.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Yes, listen to that man. Charge for your changes.

Why do you need to upsize the branch circuit?

The nameplate stated that the max amps are 28.5 amps. You don't need to run a 40 amp circuit.

Install a 40 amp range receptalce on the 30 amp circuit and use a 40 amp range cord.

Chris

MRI

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated as always..... I will put the 40a. cord a receptacle in and leave it on the 30a. circuit. I read 210.21(B)(3) but misinterpreted it...it reads for two or more receptacles and I had a brain fart and didnt read it right.....

ceb58

Ok heres the deal......wiring a new house, homeowner says he has purchased a used Viking oven/range (gas 6 burner cooktop/electric oven). During rough in I asked the HO what the electrical requirements were of the oven. He makes a call and tells me it draws 25 amps. So I take his word (mistake) and pull 10/3 to the location.
The oven shows up yesterday, it has a sticker on the back showing btu's and other gas info, no electrical except for "Total 3250w." and it has a 3 prong 30a cord connected to it (10-30P). I copy down the model number and look it up today and the specifications say "....connectwith a locally supplied 3 wire cord rated 40amps. Cord must be range approved" Under that it reads "Max amp Usage 240V.-28.5amps"
Do I have to use a 40 amp cord and plug? If so now I have to pull #8? I dont think I can put a 40a plug on 10/3 nm even though it is protected by a 2p30a cb. Or shoulkd I just use the 30a. cord that came on it? I dont like that idea.....

Help some one with a head cold out. If the unit stated total 3250w then where are they coming up with 28.5 amps? Table 220.55 states 1 appliance less than 3500w can be rated at 80% for the demand factor.

Now I know that the nameplate rating overrides the NEC but 3250/240=13.5a with out the demand factor. 40 amp cord and recp. is what it would get and I would not look back.

MRI

I dont know where the 3250w came from....I also did the math and it didnt match with the 28.5 amps???? Oh well 40a cord and receptacle installed, final inspection called in for Friday...we'll see.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I dont know where the 3250w came from....I also did the math and it didnt match with the 28.5 amps???? Oh well 40a cord and receptacle installed, final inspection called in for Friday...we'll see.
At 240 volts it would be 6840w--- unless the unit is a 120 volt unit then the numbers get closer. 3250/120= 27amps. ???????

masterinbama

This is from memory only for what it's worth. The last Viking gas/electric I installed also had a confusing label. Basically stated the same as the OP's did. With a little research I found that it is really 3250 watts upper element and 3250 watts lower element. The elements operate together for pre-heating and cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.